Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (472)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Mr. Fone, newspaper seller outside the Salisbury

Does anyone remember Mr. Fone who ran a newspaper stand outside the Salisbury I don't know when he started it but he died in 1956 or 1957 a…

Started by brian granville

11 Aug 23, 2020
Reply by brian granville

Happy birthday Finsbury Park?

Happy birthday Finsbury Park? https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4526692880681883&id=294166510601229

Started by man-thinking

4 Aug 10, 2020
Reply by Bob Ruggles

Pineries and Pineapples

Some of you might recall that maps of the area from the early nineteenth century show a "pinery" on them in the vicinity of what is now Hor…

Started by Bethany Burrow Atherton

4 Aug 2, 2020
Reply by Bethany Burrow Atherton

Mysterious deaths in Harringay Fields

A newspaper article from 1881 refers to the deaths (with open verdicts of "Found Drowned" in the New River) of Katherine Fitzpatrick, a hou…

Started by JoeW

3 Aug 2, 2020
Reply by Hugh

July 1948: Harringay Arena hosts Basketball for the Olympic Games

Whilst browsing the photo gallery a couple of weeks back, I was reminded that, in July 1948, the London Olympics came to Harringay when the…

Started by Liz

0 Jul 30, 2020

Former Bicycle Shop in Harringay

Hi all, Does anyone remember the cycle shop (on the left just before the bridge going towards Manor House)?. Got my first bike there, a Cla…

Started by ROY BOWKER

8 Jul 16, 2020
Reply by ROY BOWKER

Building between Beresford and Effingham

Just looking on Google Maps I can see what seems to be a big warehouse between the houses on Beresford Rd and Effingham Rd and was wonderin…

Started by AndrewAW1

17 Jul 16, 2020
Reply by Hugh

VE Day 75: online resources on HOL and from Bruce Castle Museum

On Harringay online we have a number of photos from World War Two in the Gallery and some past discussion threads on the war in from the fo…

Started by Liz

0 Jul 16, 2020

Hornsey Historical Society : Life in Lockdown

We are hoping to add to our Lockdown Gallery of images with a collection of people’s written accounts of their experiences during the Loc…

Started by Deirdre Stowell-Smith

0 Jun 27, 2020

Got £1,500 and up to Spare for a Bit of Harringayana?

I saw this sign going on ebay the other day for £199. I thought some railway buff would snap it up. But, I'm clearly not au-fait with jus…

Started by Hugh

8 Jun 19, 2020
Reply by Neil Le Milliere

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service