Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (470)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Earliest Aerial Photograph of Great Britain shows South Tottenham

The earliest surviving aerial photo of Great Britain was taken over Stonebridge Road, South Tottenham, just near the present day Wickes.…

Started by Hugh

5 Feb 6, 2020
Reply by John Shulver

Tudor House & Tudor Chambers, Station Road, Wood Green

Edith's Streets mentions this faux Tudor structure as being previously sited where Wood Green Customer Service Centre and Homes for Haringe…

Started by Richard Matz

3 Jan 24, 2020
Reply by Raymond Coggin

The Ghost at The Salisbury Pub

I came across the following reminiscences about The Salisbury pub the other day. Went to Waterford Ireland a couple of years ago, got talki…

Started by Hugh

8 Nov 29, 2019
Reply by brian granville

63 Pemberton Road - Tracking Down My Family History

I'm not sure of the best place to post this so I'm kinda putting it out there. It's also on my blog. I have a copy of the 1911 Census which…

Started by Chris Smith

13 Nov 25, 2019
Reply by Angela

Video of the Fire that Burned Down Harringay's Old St Paul's Church

Broadcast by Thames news on 7th of March 1984. (Initial short news item followed by unbroadcast footage). The footage shows the devastat…

Started by Hugh

3 Nov 3, 2019
Reply by Hugh

Barratts memories

I remember walking past Barratts in the early 1970s and smelling the aniseed,could still smell it for a few years after factory closed,happ…

Started by Geoffrey Leberman

3 Oct 4, 2019
Reply by John

Haringey buses in 1985

This was uploaded to YouTube today... a montage of bus videos from the area around Ducketts Common and then Crouch End, before filming a…

Started by Dave W

9 Sep 22, 2019
Reply by Richard Woods

Summer Outing - East Anglia Transport Museum & Acton Depot Open Days 13th/14th July 2019

Harringay was in the middle of London's Trolleybusland. Originally served by more tram routes than buses, by the 1950s there were four Trol…

Started by StephenBln

3 Aug 28, 2019
Reply by John Shulver

Clive Carter's Photo Essay on Wightman Road "Designing-in Danger"

Clive Carter's Photo Essay on Flickr is here - it includes this photograph which he suggests shows Wightman Road c1887, "This view is from…

Started by EMC2

2 Jul 28, 2019
Reply by EMC2

A Hornsey Park Clock Shop and How the Needs of Road Transport have been Plaguing the Turnpike / Wightman Junction for over a Century

I came across this clock the other day. So I had to ferret around a little to find out about it. 3 Hornsey Park Road was on the corner on…

Started by Hugh

3 Jul 12, 2019
Reply by Hugh

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service