Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

We have a bit of damp in the back of our house (despite fitting a damp course).

Does anyone have any recommended tradesmen who could help us sort it out?

Tags for Forum Posts: damp-proofing

Views: 811

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Cml, we have had a similar problem, which I thought was due to cold or lack of air circulation. Our builder Evis - I'll get his details later if you like - immediately identified the damp spot as where an old fire place used to be and summised that some rain water was still coming down the chimney, but was not evaporating or being burnt off by an open fire(place). We checked outisde and lo and behold, there is a series of uncapped chimnies above that room (we live in the ground floor of a ladder conversion). Turns out next door have had the same problem for years, but could not figure out where it was coming from.

Might this be the cause? If so, I'll forward you Evis's details. He did a great job on our kitchen and bathroom last year too.

Hi Chris, my neighbour and I have what sounds to be a similar problem (damp near an old fireplace). Could I have Evis's details too please?

Hi all. Apologies for the late reply. His name is Evis Poulakas, company name as I recall is Triangle Properties. Evis's telephone number is 07771 580700, and email is evis9898@gmail.com.

They are an FMB (Federation of Master Builders)-registered company and, as I said above, they did a wonderful job on our kitchen and bathroom last year.

Cheers

hi maggie, i am researching old hol comments to find someone to sort out my damp kitchen (where the old fireplace used to be) and came across your entry april 23, 2011. did you get Evis to do the work and can you recommend them?

regards lee

Lee. Just saw this. We had exactly the same problem in the last 2 weeks. The chimney has a mushroom cap on, so that may not be the direct cause- instead it was pointed out that damp due to the lack of a vent at the bottom of a fire palce that has been sealed is a common issue. Basically, cold air sinks or migrates into and down the capped chimney (the cap still has air holes in) and has no where to go and condenses in the chimney... So, we have just had a small hole knocked in (we had to take a brick out) and an simple air vent cover installed. Lets see how we get on.

hi justin, did it go at the bottom of the wall?

we have had the damp proofing done for rising damp so the damp now stops at this line.

we have fixed the chimney and so are perplexed as to where the damp is coming from. i like the air theory but would this still apply if it increase when it rains? gonna try it anyway. who did yours?

lee.

Hi. It was an estate agent that pointed it out and said it was a common issue he sees in such situations. The water does not come in via rain, but moisture in the air that condenses when cold...

The vent went in close to the floor but in the middle of the chimney, where the space would be (where the fire palce would have sat) behind the wall.

Voytek (Zeko Building Services) did this- +44 7748 724 283, but as part of a larger piece of work. Basically a good handy man could do this too. In some chimneys thet are not bricked up, they have a plaster board across the space, so it may be straight forward to do yourself if you are confident?

IM me and I will let you have my number if you want to chat...

How did you get your rising damp sorted, something I might have to deal with myself...

getting a handyman around for other work so lets see if he can do it.

rising damp was done by a company recommended by our broker. they did a survey and quote so when the chimney leaked we panicked and got the rising damp guys in which did not sort out the chimney problem.

they left a bit of a mess by chopping into a wall which was a partition wall so would not recommend them.

OK, thanks- good luck with the penetrating damp!

Hi,

You probably have this sorted now, but I'm a Harringey based independent damp and timber surveyor.
I have no links to contractors.
I'm a member of the trade association the Property care Association.
I'm fully qualified and insured and I also carry the government TrustMark.

Jason Mahoney
jason@csrtsurveyor.com

JPM Independent Surveyors
www.csrtsurveyor.com

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service