Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Ally Pally birthplace of TV project on hold - but is there a silver lining?

The project at Ally Pally has announced they have not enough for the TV studios bit. This is being publicly admitted to local media. Sources tell me they ran out of dosh to the tune of £9m - the surveyors apparently underestimated the costs.The AP project spin is that the project still within budget and they are just, er, "rescoping" the project - to leave out the studios! But the media are getting that the studios bit was the USP of the whole thing ...

Mind you, I am not criticizing the present council which has been supportive of the restoration, unlike previous administrations (I'm thinking of you, Lord Toby Harris) which simply wished to flog AP off. No, the real villains are the philistine art-history trained English Heritage/Historic England "experts" which egged on the the costly, unnecessary and in conservation terms, vandalistic planned demolition of the converted arches which literally forms the two studio walls .. to appease some local Muswell Hill nimbies who have always hated the building, and wished to tidy away the BBC changes to some impossible Victorian appearance.

The silver lining is that there is now a bit of time to for conservatonists to try to persuade the Council/AP to rethink

Views: 1175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But surely every media organisation, in print, sound or vision, has an agenda; sometime overt, sometimes subtle? Perhaps the only organ I can think of that actually gets close to printing unvarnished truth is the Financial Times as it's readership need facts rather than opinions to make investment decisions.
Being impartial is asking for the impossible but that's what the BBC is expected to try to do and it has many license payers willing to challenge it on every turn when it fails.

If you guys can't see the irony of protesting against not just the “mainstream media” but the BBC while Drinking from the teet of the propaganda wing of an authoritarian state, I can't help you.

@ Michael

The BBC's agenda is  "to inform, educate and entertain ".

It could be argued that the priority between these three has been distorted but as long as there is Radio 3, Radio 4 and BBC 4 they're doing pretty well.

@ Chris

The BBC, btw, is not a " State Broadcaster ".

Let's imagine for a moment that North Korea ran both a national and global broadcaster, funding it's running costs via a levy on their population, topped up by Government. Let's call it the NKBC.

Let's further fantasise that there was no direct state censorship of the output (except for extreme cases); that the state left it to the 'integrity' of a respected, 'trusted' Chief Exec to watch over what was broadcast for them. The Chief Exec would adopt a 'hands off' approach to journalists that let them more or less air what they chose - no editorial interference by those in power.

Let's assume that they would  copy the BBC's popular framework and have programmes in foreign languages (eg English) directed abroad, a main nightly news aimed at their own people that often featured reaction to and analysis of governement announcements, various radio stations covering different themes eg pop for the kids, drama section etc

How would that output differ from that of the BBC? The NK journalists themselves would doubtless seek, often unconsciously, to promote the values of the state, for fear of ostracisation and because it was 'what people appreciated'. The NK state sees the USA as an enemy, that prejudice would be noticeable in the output, even if it could be proven that the government never interfered with that aspect. Journalists would win prizes for programmes that 'exposed' the calumny of the USA - great prominence would be given to news that confirmed the NK prejudice (eg mass shootings in America, gun control etc) and the implication of the USA being a 'sick' society made clear.

The North Koreans aren't stupid, they'd know that others would see NKBC as a propaganda weapon so NKBC would seek to broadcast as many incontrovertible 'facts' as possible  - football results etc.

If you asked an NK journalist - 'are you a state lackey?' they'd be highly offended - their direct, personal experience over many years at the coal face was proof that the NK govt never interfered.  They were trained in the best universities to think independently, they were their own people and full of integrity. 

Yes, they supported NK 'values' but what was wrong with that?  Some colleagues were not so strong in those values and still kept their jobs - there was even that series of shows that promoted a slightly opposite view, proving that NKBC was 'balanced'.  Not to mention that famous American who was given respect despite the NK Govt's assumed opposition.

The USA have had broadcasters supported by the state for a while, as have France with France24, specifically set up to counter the US-centric view of the world promoted by CNN and the BBC.

Whilst the Beeb may not be technically a 'state' broadcaster, I guess most abroad would see it as such - I'd call it a 'light touch' state broadcaster but I guess that those who don't like the UK would see it as a propaganda arm of the UK government.

Maybe we'll hear that view of BBC emissions expressed in Europe after we leave the EU, or do you think the EU populations will still see the BBC as unbiased, only existing to 'inform, educate and entertain' Europe out of the goodness of our own heart?

Being unbiased is impossible but it an honourable aim. What other news source do you think provides a better service? Perfection rarely exists in the human world, the trick is to find paths that are better than others. Where is this holy grail of truth to be found elsewhere Chris, if the BBC is so bad in comparison?

>>Being unbiased is impossible

Exactly my point - the BBC is biased.

>>Where is this holy grail of truth to be found elsewhere

Binary comparisons don't work, it's apples and pears.  I think we suffer from the cultural imperialism that proves 'British values best', something buttressed by the widespread use of the English language worldwide. Europe's 'Lingua Franca' has become American English, something unlikely to change anytime soon, but we see it as an endorsement of British values, which it is not.  

The blindness has been consciously aided by the BBC, shoring up their biased, white, middle class, monarchist conception of ourselves and helping perpetuate the damaging compartmentalisation of 'otherness' we ascribe to non-natives. So it's hard to objectify how good the BBC is compared to that of 'Johnny Foreigner'.

I do accept that art holds up a mirror and that many aspects of the BBC do reflect us as a nation as seen by them, but there is an incestuous complicity there. You can see it when they (and journalists generally) start quoting each other as sources of authority.

I think the Beeb has lost its chance, been knocked off its perch by the availability of choice. Huge BBC viewing figures have become a distant memory - the Beeb is no longer be able to regularly provide a mass shared experience - the output is just not compelling enough. As people have deserted the Beeb in droves the moment they were given an alternative, what does that say about how good it really is?

National radio remains a monopoly, but they don't seem to want to mess with the station I listen to (Radio 4), which seems to be fading into the 'better yesterday' nostalgic view of UKIP and the Archers to me.

What tires me, even on radio, is the paternalism. The lack of women with real power in the org is shameful still. The detachment from their audience is painful - they just don't seem to be able to involve us in what they do.

They don't seem to be the BBC any longer in the production sense, they seem to be more of a clearing-house, presumably with far too much power in the hands of the few commissioners who spend all the money on outside productions.

Although I listen carefully, I don't have a detailed overview, so could be very wrong.

The opportunity to go global is huge but I expect they'll mess iPlayer up even further and miss it, only raising a token amount via subscription in a world where users expect internet stuff to be free.  

Even bigger is the chance for more people to participate in the conversation but I don't think it's in their ethos - they insist on delivery of 'their' hierarchically-handed-down values, not collaboration with ours so as to define an actual consensus.

In other words, BBC output is made for us, not with us.

We've rather gone off the topic of the restoration of the BBC studios and I'd rather get back to that than fantasise about freedom of expression in North Korea.

Sadly that's not the way this site runs - anyone can write anything they like, there are no 'rules'.

This is a great example of how the Labour Party will continue to lose the thread if Momentum and JC stay in charge.

Anyway back to the topic, is anyone else excited to have the palace (almost) back up and running ? I am :)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service