Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I am a photographer and have been recently going through my archives. I came across this old photo of the Hornsey gas holders/gasometers, which of course are now demolished, as viewed from Alexandra Palace. I was quite happy to find this as I thought I had no photos of them, let alone one taken just of the pair of them. 

Since it was here that I first learned that these structures were being demolished, I thought that you might like to see this image.

Here's the flickr link for anyone who might want to view it there instead: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bloophoenix/27321268638/

Tags for Forum Posts: hornsey gasholder

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you seen the flash apartments in the Gas risers in Kings Cross?

I have, they look very nice. Obviously not very affordable though now that King's Cross has been "tidied up", as it were. Unfortunately those types of developments cost more than just slapping down a generic box of flats, especially since you'd have to do maintenance on the structure before you could even begin.

Just taken a look. Strange. They only kept the outer structure but it is a bizarre idea - back in the day when the ovens were turned on in town like Hornsey the gas superintendent would call the men in to stand on top of the holder to ensure the pressure was high enough! True! Now they live inside the darned things!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service