Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For a few days now I've suspected something was afoot with Turnpike Lane's Banksy; it's been surrounded by scaffolding and tarpaulin since Wednesday - and there was a security van present for much of that time.

This morning I had a sneaky look under said tarpaulin to find it had been removed. I spoke to the guy rendering the wall and he said that after repeated attempts to gouge it out, the owner of the Poundland building had decided to take steps to 'preserve' it. He wasn't sure where it's gone...one can only wonder if it's been sold. Sad to see it go - it was nice to have a landmark of sorts...

Tags for Forum Posts: banksy, street art

Views: 16930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

aren't they taxes to pay for exporting works of art?

Export licenses only apply for art over 50 years old. :-(

http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/what-we-do/supporting-museums/cultura...

Might I suggest we email Banksy too . I have done so asking him to revisit the area but work on a public building rather than private one.

He might be chasing buildings around the borough - the council can't sell them fast enough

I wonder if they contacted the council to obtain licenses to erect a scaffold and store materials on the footpath. It also looks like on a picture I saw that they cut into the footpath slabs. The council should send a surveyor out to give that area of footpath an inspection for any damage. 

Remarkable how little it takes to move our neighbours to animated discourse and moral outrage.

"Buyer responsible for shipping and handling"

If this El Greco fresco doodle hasn't already crumbled to dust, I'd like to meet the mason/plasterer who executed the render.

I would suggest that neither a mason or a plasterer was involved in executing this effort. (picture from @AlanStrickland.)

I think OAE was referring to the render on which the late lamented Banksy was painted.

On reflection I think you are right. It makes more sense.

OAE concurs.

The Metro is the first newspaper (if you can call it that) to report Old-Age-Emporium(OAE)'s moral outrage

Googling this topic throws up an interesting set of links not least that Miami has got form for this kind of behaviour with regard to Banksy. I was of the opinion that Banksy would not intervene or comment on this kind of thing but it appears that he did 'sabotage' this art dealers efforts to sell his work in NY. Now It would appear this art dealers 'love of the works' has been overcome and he has got someone on mind who is ready to buy.

Art is a business and those free marketeers are not too bothered about context, community ownership or public access where there's a buck to be made. See also Hacked Off  an article from Sept 2011

If this kind of thing is to continue then one way to prevent further plunder is for authentic Banksy's to be listed as soon as they are acknowledged. Very interesting study here on this topic

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service