Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Depressing news:

I don't really want to discuss the whys and wherefores of betting shops anymore. We did that to death on this thread. I just want to express my utter dejection that once again we were correct and we predicted this back in July

I think we will need to fight this. We will need our MPs and councillors united on this and willing to fight it every inch of the way, we need to back our residents groups and submit lots of objections.

Is there any other high street in London which is suffering from this concentation of gambling establishments?

Tags for Forum Posts: 513 Green Lanes, betting, betting shops, gambling

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Comment From FaceBook Fan Page:

Sazzie Dee:
......utterly speechless.... How many more of these do we need?! Get some proper blimming shops up on Green Lanes PLEEEEEEASE!
Good GOD. Do we really have to fight EVERY INCH of wonderful Green Lanes? Bring it on...
I want to fight this. We have entirely too many betting shops and there's no reason why we need any more. Tell me how I can help.
The power at this point lies in the hands of the planning inspector. Probably the best thing you can do with the time available is to submit an objection as I described above - and get your friends to do the same.
I've submitted my objection!
There is strong opposition so we can put this into writing and action. Matt and I are preparing a standard letter should folks want to use that or they can write their own version. Even if MPs receive the same letter 1000 times over, it is useful because it still means there is concern about this. They have to act or at least be seen to acting and each one has to be responded to. Yes- everyone. And it you dont get a response, you write again and ask why no response. We must emphasise that there should be a change in the law. If people start threatening to change their political allegiance if some action isnt taken, then things also start to shift.
There are other MPs calling for this I am sure plus lots of people in other communities affected in a similar way. Make the links, and a few hundred becomes a few thousands becomes a few million.
Chipping away at the wall....
I have no objection to a few betting shops but I would like a variety of shops out there.
I have objected to the inspectorate and will write to David Lammy. I did contact him a few years back about this and he never replied, despite a reminder. At the meeting others have mentioned he was very critical if the consequences of the new legislation which have resulted in this and made it clear I think that the only answer was to change the law.
Do contact him. We all should. Plus we have a right to lobby our MPs but cant remember when/what time we can do that. If the guy has any sense, making a stand on this could do him the world of good. Things are shifting a bit very slowly towards more accountability and someone must be accountable for ruining our high streets.
PS
Any letters we fire off to Lammy can be copied to local councillors and the inspectorate and to local Press, radio etc.
This in from David Lammy's office.
thanks for this. Matt and I have spent time drafting a letter for people to fire off to Lammy, might seem useless now he has done this but then again we wouldnt know about this letter without you Hugh. Maybe we can stil send those letters cus he then has support from local community to do something.
Let us know if the letter we have drawn up still required
What's he been doing since the public meeting in February then?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service