Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I try to be extra careful when cycling, I try to avoid roads where possible, and need to figure out a safe route from Turnpike Lane to Highbury.

I was cycling down Green lanes a few days ago, and am very wary of parked cars opening their doors suddenly without observation or care. 

But I wasn't prepared for a  door to fly open from a car stuck in slow moving traffic - luckily i braked hard and just ended up with scraped fingers. 

I dont expect the beaviour of some of these idiot drivers and passengers to change unless the laws are changed to Dutch cycling laws.

However the council can start by introducing cycle lanes on Green Lanes, not Boris lanes but proper cycle lanes. Something needs to be done about traffic on Wood Green High street to Green lanes

Views: 1708

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Many of the restaurants already have queues outside and they know that their customers come from Enfield to dine too.

I think it's a fairly traditional view that you need parking for businesses, restaurants, etc. With decreasing car ownership it's becoming a bit old-fashioned but Haringey's transport plan isn't really the most modern.

There is quite a bit going on in New York at the moment trying to move towards more sustainable streets (although they have plenty to go) http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/dot-economic-benefits-of-...

Haringey have no interest in promoting cycling as a) cyclists make Haringey no money and b) They have to answer to the Turkish/Greek Green Lanes Shop Traders that control Green Lanes.

(comment edited in line with our site policy)

Ok how about turning the whole of Green Lanes into a red route but opening up free unrestricted 24hr parking on the ladders? You can have your cycle lanes along GL if this happened but at the moment putting cycle lanes along GL is simply not possible. As for the cycle lanes that have been introduced in Enfield recently along with the changes in parking on those routes are having a massive detrimental effect on local business. Not to mention the hair brained idea that some idiot thought up of making the cycle lane cut across the exact same area where people are getting on & off the buses. And guess what, every time I go up there I see cyclists peddling along the road, avoiding the very expensive cycle lanes recently introduced.  

Here's an idea, why don't we ban bicycles from A roads and ban cars from anything unclassified except for access. We really shouldn't need all these cycle lanes as apart from the murderous attitude of motorists, the roads are fine for cycling on.

I'm a motorist and I don't have a murderous attitude so please don't generalise. As it happens, I have been doing about 10k miles each year for the last 50 years which adds up to half a million miles and I haven't killed anyone yet.

Do you have any backup for this:

the changes in parking on those routes are having a massive detrimental effect on local business

I've heard the opposite but don't have any actual figures so wondering where your evidence came from.

Also, what effect is it having on air pollution levels I wonder?

I can barely smell the charcoal on Green Lanes sometimes due to car fumes. 

The Enfield cycle lanes around Palmers Green mostly work well. Except pedestrians walk in them, and its tricky when you are cycling past a bus stop as the cycle lane crosses where bit where passengers wait. There isn't enough room (or the council doesn't have the balls) to install proper segregated cycle lanes. But it is an improvement over what cyclists in this area had before.

As I said, the council are scared to stand up to the Haringay Green Lanes traders, I don't know why as there are 50 restaurants that all serve the same food. Some diversity would be good. The area is pretty crappy so I think some other types of businesses and less car traffic would improve it.

Most car journeys are under 5 miles and can easily be cycled. Apart from the disabled/elderly and some traders, nobody needs to drive a car around Haringey, it's just selfishness and laziness.

I think the high street in Harringay is pretty cool now. I'm cutting the shop keepers a little more slack these days but have to laugh at the five grand they wasted on a survey to fight LivingWightman.

Erm as someone who lives in Enfield we love the cycle lanes, they are getting busier and busier. Kids who would never have considered cycling to school are now doing so.

The changes on parking have been blown out of all proportion, as always businesses hugely over estimate how much of their business is by car.

The bus boarders are hugely popular with wheelchair users and families and are absolutely fine so not sure where you are getting your info from.

Even the anti cycling lobby have pretty much given up and decamped to Chiswick to fight their plans for a cycle lane..  

Well if people are getting off buses in the middle of cycle lanes, then of course people will avoid it. It’s no brainier once again. Doh

RSS

Advertising

© 2018   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service