Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I've just almost had an eye taken out by an old lady cycling on the busy pavement at Crouch End Broadway with an umbrella up - there are so may cyclists dangerously  weaving in and out of startled pedestrians everywhere totally unchecked that it's become ridiculous, but what to do about it?

Views: 3690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just returned from a trip to Milan, where 'shared space' is legal and normal. Cyclists very considerate and slow near pedestrians...returned to London where cyclists whizz past...even where the road is quiet and even easier to negotiate...Maybe if shared space was promoted in certain urban spaces with some 'nudge' education?

Where did the cyclists "whizz past"? Were they perhaps on the road? No objections to the cars "whizzing past"?

It's quite clear from the context.

I think cyclists should be allowed to cycle safely on the pavement.

I agree but it's not just about riding safely on the pavement but also where the pavement is safe to ride on. Thinking about Green Lanes, some of the stretches of pavement are so narrowed with traders goods, street furniture, bus shelters and so busy with pedestrians that just having two people walking side by side is a challenge. And because of cars parking on the footpath riding on the pavement on Wightman (which does happen) has to be a no no.

Unless cyclists get their own cycling lane, as in many places in Germany and Netherlands, then we will continue to get cyclsist on the pavement. This is most unsatisfactory for pedestarians, but understanable for cyclists. I own a bike but am not at all interested in cycling on any London road. As we see daily, London roads are a death trap. Will we ever get ubiquitous cycling lanes ? Of course not. Motorists be considerate to cyclists. Cyclists be considerate to pedestrians

This thread has made my day. It couldn't be more full of tetchy people who are sniping at each other. What a lovely place HoL is turning into ;)

Keep it up everyone, I'm off to get another cup of tea as I spat most of the last cup out while laughing.

Passive Aggressive online as one of my dear friends has christened  it -  always makes me chuckle - and yes I'm guilty!

I'm not seeing the passive side to that label right now ;)

I started the discussion and I don't think I'll ever bother posting here again - so many abrasive people  just spoiling for an online row.

Hey how, here we go again. I think I will have to post a positive thread as threads like this are fuelling almost hatred
By the way Hugh, the reason why you saw so many cyclists on pavements in Kyoto, is because in Japan, cyclists are expected to cycle on pavements. People who cycle on roads are thought to be idiots and do it at their peril
I used to live in Tokyo and cycled everywhere by road. But when a car hit me and badly damaged my new bike, it was very hard to get any expenses, as cyclists are automatically to blame for any accident as they should be on the pavements

I never saw any collisions between cyclists or pedestrians and there was great sense of patience and harmony in their weaving.
I'm sure there is a lesson there somewhere

I thought this discussion went off on some tangents at times but there are fair points to debate. I don't necessarily see that disagreeing with someone is tantamount to hatred--some may not completely effectively make their points.

That was very interesting about the culture in Japan in this regard. It almost makes a greater point that there is no single culture here as people come from all over. I personally am loathe to go on the pavement even when it's the only option (e.g., blocked road). But there are others who seem to have no problem doing it for miles on end. I am a foreigner but my perception is that cycling should never be done on the pavement and so I don't.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service