Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

On another thread an event to be held on Duckett's Common gives its address as N15 3DX.

Must be some mistake I thought.

However, on checking, it seems that perhaps nobody knows.

Freemaptools.com has it that the N8/N15 dividing line runs through the middle of at least part of the park.

free-postcode-maps.co.uk insist that the park is wholly within N8.

NPE Maps have it, (I think!), as N8.

The Council, bless their little cotton socks, are just all at sea and give its address as N4.

The postcode used by the event owners has, I imagine, come from some bum info on Google Maps.

The Royal Mail's Postcode Finder, say that N15 3DX only applies to two addresses - and I guess they ought to know if anyone does.

So do parks have postcodes? I rather think not. The Royal Parks website may give some clues as to why postcodes are sometimes used for parks. In its section on Hyde Park, it offers the following:

If you are using a mobile device, the postcode for the park is W2 2UH, but note this is for guidance only as the park covers a large area.

Despite their obvious confusion, I think the Council might be on the right lines. A park may be within the boundaries of a postal area but I don't believe it has an allocated postcode. 

That still leaves the question of which postcode area the park is in (and leaves me scratching my head and wondering why I give half a damn!).

Tags for Forum Posts: duckett's common, postcode, postcodes

Views: 2320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are some newspaper snippets. The first about a cricket match, from Sporting Life on 28 June 1873 just shows “Ducketts Green” in common use. 

The second, reporting on the doings of Tottenham Council, shows the use of both Duckett's Green and Duckett's Common. It is from the London North Middlesex Weekly Standard on 26 January 1900. This makes it sound like they're referring to Duckett's Common IN Duckett's Green.

Lastly there's an snippet from the House of Commons Papers from 1911:

Quite forgot for a mo there that you are a historian and curator!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service