Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Don't Forget - Wightman Road Closed for 5 months from Next Tuesday (29th March)

In case it's escaped your notice or slipped your mind, Wightman Road will be closed to through traffic for five months starting next Tuesday 29th March.

This will be a significant dislocation to North London traffic movement. So much so that warning notices have been placed as far away as Archway. No doubt it will also have a significant impact on Harringay's traffic.

However, there really is no alternative to at least partial road closure. The railway bridge between Alroy and Wightman roads is being replaced and there will simply be no road for a few months!

One option the Council could have taken would have been to simply reroute the traffic via the Ladder rung roads. It is to their credit, however, they recognised that with over 16,000  vehicles a day using Wightman Road, this would have placed an intolerable burden on our narrow residential roads, already beset by undue traffic volumes.

After consultation with residents, the solution decided upon is to place blocks at regular intervals along Wightman Road, in effect creating clusters of two or three rung roads. Whilst this will retain unfettered access for residents. it will render the whole Ladder, including Wightman, useless as a rat run. You can clearly see the details on the full size pdf map attached below.

Quite what it will mean for traffic in Harringay, Haringey and further afield remains to be seen. Those of us who have been working with the Council on this very much hope that traffic will quickly find other routes. It's fair to say, however, that at very best, we're going to experience some very heavy congestion on Green Lanes for a month or so. 

At the same time, the Harringay traffic study will continue. The coincident timing of this piece of work with the bridge closure may be fortunate in that it will give the consultants an opportunity to study the outcome of diverting traffic away from Harringay. 

A pdf copy of the Wightman Road closure is attached, along with some Council-produced documentation. You can stay up to date with what's happening on the Wightman Road closure on a dedicated page on the council website here.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge, wightman bridge closure

Views: 33770

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw a truck loaded with signs and barriers going up Warham at about 7:30 so maybe they're waiting until the end of the morning rush.

The school holidays may be contributing to a sense of 'phoney war'...

I sent a rather bad tempered email to everyone I could think of at the weekend asking why the letter drop hadn't happened. I got a reply a few minutes ago. Text below

Dear Mr Anderson,

Thank you for your email of 27 March which has been referred to me.

We distributed several thousand information letters in February and , in conjunction with Network Rail, held public meetings to provide opportunity for residents and businesses to have ‘face to face’ discussions on what we all recognise is a contentious issue.

The letter drop you refer to is a follow-up exercise in which we discuss the bridge closure and related factors in greater detail.

It was our intention to distribute this in advance of the Easter holiday period but, in what may well appear to be a somewhat arcane procedure, the document was subject to extensive checking before it could be approved. This was required given the current period of ‘purdah’ which is in place for the mayoral election.

I am pleased to say that this follow-up letter will be distributed this week – hopefully commencing today - to residents and businesses, and it will also be placed on the web page along with existing information.

We have worked hard to try and communicate clear information to residents and businesses in advance of the closure but we do fully understand the closure is inconvenient and will cause difficulty for many.

I hope this information is of some help. I will be able to give you more precise information later today.

I wrote a quick note late last Thursday offering to distribute the letter on HoL to add to the home delivery. As I understand it a digital copy is on its way  - but let's see.

So they spend so much time approving the content, they completely negate the benefit of distributing the information at all...fan-bloody-tastic effort
Just walked down Wightman. Concrete blocks gong in at the junction with Warhamand the bridge is now closed to traffic

Update from 11:00 posted here

Just spoken to one of the guys mashaling at the top of Burgoyne (poor bloke looks like he's aged about 30 years after a morning of abuse). There's a bust water main at Seven Sisters so a lot of the traffic that would go that way is trying to get up Green Lanes, all adding to the drama and excitement.

Block the road, I'll use the pavement . . . . and here's an example of the type of behaviour your man has had to deal with.  For those with eye-sight like mine, it's a white Mercedes EF64 AMU.  Footways, in this area, it seems, are just too much to resist.

WOW!!!

I do hope you've emailed this picture to the council...
Message for Warham, Seymour and Pemberton Road people.
As we still have a lot of traffic coming up the Warham Road from Salisbury Road and Green Lanes, I've been in contact with Haringey. The problem seems to be that drivers coming up Salisbury Road just aren't aware that they can now turn right and head up to Turnpike Lane. As a consequence they are streaming up Warham, trying to turn right and then having to do a three point turn at the top of Seymour before going back down Pemberton Road. Also, the signs at the bottom of Warham are almost competently obscured by trees.
I've asked if something more bold and direct (No through road or something like that) can be put at the bottom of Warham and it made clearer that a right turn is now permitted coming out of Salisbury Road.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service