Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Labour has announced that the controversial Haringey development vehicle (HDV) proposal developed under the Kober administration will be ditched if Labour maintains control of the council in the upcoming elections.

With the local Lib Dems promising the same, the fate of the HDV seems sealed. 

Council leader Claire Kober (Lab) announced at the end of January that she was standing down as Haringey’s leader amid in-fighting within the party, particularly over the HDV partnership with developer Lendlease. Under the arrangements the company would take more than £2bn of council assets and own a 50% stake. In return it would "promise" to create 6,400 homes and 20,000 jobs.

Tags for Forum Posts: haringey development vehicle, hdv

Views: 3175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The silence is deafening 

There's no point, Richard Matz. Constructive and informative contributions are unwelcome if it involves doing some reading and thinking of evidence and ideas.

6.400 homes and 20,000 jobs ?

Do we really want these homes ? Where is the infrastructure ? 20,000 extra people on our already overloaded transport system ?

What jobs ? Unemployment is pretty low. If Lendlease " create " 20,000 jobs, presumably they will be in Haringey. Doing what ?

We should perhaps concentrate on improving the existing housing stock, not create more housing which will attract more residents from outside and do nothing for people here currently living in appalling conditions.

Do we even want these homes?! 

Oh the utter arrogance of privalage. Go tell the people living in overcrowded houses. Go tell the young adults depesrate to move out of their parents. 

As i suspected. Anti HDV has nothing to do with helping others 

Yes we want homes, but they need to be built to disrupt the market, i.e. to get price under 12x annual salary. Would a big property developer do this? Not a chance.

DTW

Did you not read my last sentence ?

We still need to create more housing, but at a market upsetting rate. There is an excellent series of articles on Unheard regarding the issues of the current housing crisis and why it is not in the interest of developers, the banks and civil servants to solve this.

We need more houses. If you have adult children sharing a room you can do it up as much as you want but it still won’t be suitable.

There will never be enough houses in London. How many of the HDV houses were to be in any sense affordable for someone earning £10 an hour ?

Those were the construction jobs. So no jobs after the building work.

What sort of argument is that!  Those workers spend money in the area, it encourages other private investment, there is a multiplier effect....

My point was that there would be no long term impact. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service