Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

A new plan from Wards Corner developer Grainger would see this:

become this:

Grainger wants to build 196 new homes and a new shopping area, but the traders and local residents have been fighting an eight year long campaign to stop the plans.

The new plan is almost identical to the previous one, except for the removal of the tallest storey of the building, more greenery, and the installation of ‘memory panels’ around the Tube station with pictures and history of the area.

Grainger is claiming that an independent survey it commissioned showed that 69 per cent of Tottenham residents want the site to be replaced with new buildings.

Tags for Forum Posts: ward's corner

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The truth is that the permission (if granted) is exactly that. There is no compulsion on the developer to actually carry out the development. Too often planning permission is sought to increase the land value at sell on because it can be marketed as having permission for x, y and z.

I think you make a good point Neville. Due to deeply misconceived proposals, large amounts and time and money are wasted.

One thinks of Wards Corner, Alexandra Palace and the council plans to build over one third of Down Lane Park in Tottenham.

In each case, council "officials", sometimes aided and abetted by passenger-councillors, carried on blithely and regardless of what was actually wanted by the people who pay their bills: the residents.

Haringey always does the right thing ... after exhausting every possible alternative!

I wish to report what one of the councillers is saying about what our own Council as development partner is proposing for Wards 

the proposals as they stand blatantly discriminatory, with the

end result akin to ethnic cleansing of this vital site.>>

Comment 401 on the HGY/2012/0915 planning application for Wards Corner by Grainger plc and Haringey Council as their development partner. Our council sees us ethnic BMEs as the problem and to make up for years of their ineptitude and neglect only see it fit to evict the local businesses and residents and replace them with newcomers - national chains and multiples.

Who will put a stop to this before it is too late?

I've read Cllr Diakides Objection online. Isidoros' cogent arguments carry more weight than most because of his architecture background. The Councillor makes many excellent points that I agree with.

However I do think its wrong to compare Grainger's - intensely average - proposal with ethnic cleansing, even if it is disruptive to people's lives. We're talking about a Planning Application and not murder in Bosnia. I think the council treats the ethnic group involved with no more disregard than any other group of residents. 

Also, "Haringey's Baby Planning scandal" (elsewhere) is IMO unfair, wrong and verging on hysteria. It doesn't help the case of those with reservations about Grainger's - cheap - Proposal.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service