Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Whilst over at the wonderful Euroart Open Studios on Friday night, I wandered over to Fountayne Road. Demographically, it's similar to Harringay's Warehouse District in that the buildings have been given over to an artistic crowd to use as live work spaces. I really rather liked it. Light was fading fast but I got a few snaps.

The warehouses in Fountayne Road are older than Harringay's and quite atmospheric

Who's that?

Imperial Works - anyone know the history here?

Inside the stairwell of one of the Imperial Works blocks

Guess this must be Number 7 Fountayne Road

View into one of the live work units

Street art is my new 'one weakness'......

Sunset over 'Sweet World' - Tottenham's homegrown slice of America!

Broad Lane graffiti

Mannions, Broad Lane

Rainbow Works opposite Euroart Studios

Tags for Forum Posts: tottenham warehouse district

Views: 6429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Went on Sunday and am absolutely delighted that we are seeing an emergence of a creative community partcularly juxtaposed with the heavily industrial O'Donovans presence in the area.
Interesting mention of the O'Donovan presence in our area - I wrote recently to councillors asking what stuff is processed by the firm. Desirable or not, I doubt we will see a new Dalston until O'Donovan has left thevsrea. And Zi'll be glad to seee the back of them. I live in the Tynemouth Road area, the which is residential. O'Donovan drivers of huge open container lorries use Tynemouth-Antill Road and Springfield as a rat run between the High Street and Broad Lane, making our streets look like an industrial estate. Anyone know what is being transported? It looks and smells foul!

And nice to see the photo essay giving the other side of the borough a mention.

Hugh, if Tottenham Green becomes 'the new Dalston' will you rename the site to Haringey online? :)

Have you contacted O'Donovan? Or the Environment Department? Or your three Tottenham Green ward councillors? Your own residents' association may be taking this up.

We had this problem with O'Donovan years ago when I was councillor for the former High Cross ward. Haringey staff went to see the boss - Ms O'Donovan - about the rat-run. This practice stopped - at least at the time.

There were also various other complaints involving noise and dust affecting streets on the Ferry Lane Estate - just across the railway line. Working with FLAG - the residents Association - and especially with pressure from Lorna Reith and Quentin Given, the Council were successful in getting O'Donovan to respond and curtail the worst nuisance.

I'm not suggesting it's simple. But don't give up.

Your councillors are: Bernice Vanier; Richard Watson and Isidoros Diakides. Contact details here.

Alan, thanks. I have been in touch with councillor Diakides (no response after 3 tries since April) and more recently Councillor Watson who has passed on a query to enforcement at the Council. TARA (residents association) not currently looking at this, but there was some talk a couple of years ago as cars had been damaged on Tynemouth Road.

Do you recall when you met with the firm? It would be useful to mention when I write.

I remember TARA looking at this a few years ago and would be surprised if they wouldn't look at it again if asked.  I live inside the gyratory but not on Tynemouth Road and I'm not there during the day, so I don't notice it as a problem.  But I do get annoyed at the lorries blocking the entrance to Markfield Park and generally am all for them being reminded that people live nearby.

Also, it might be useful to get some guarantees that they won't be using forthcoming roadworks on Broad Lane as an excuse to rat run through local residential streets both north and south of Broad Lane.

Thanks, I'll drop TARA a message.  It would also be useful to ask if the drivers would observe traffic signs in the Tynemouth island:

ha - you should forward that photo to Councillor Watson to discuss with enforcement...

I did - and I had previously forwarded it to Councillor Diakides in April, May, June without any response.  Fair play to Richard Watson for taking an interest though.

I didn't meet them, Johnny. Staff from Haringey went to see them. I recall an Environmental Health Officer called - I think - Fred Rowbotham. (This was maybe ten years ago so I doubt he's still around.) Again from memory, I think he mentioned speaking to Jacqui O'Donovan the Managing Director. You'll find a photo of her on their website

If Cllr Richard Watson is 'on the case' you are in good hands. And hopefully Richard - who is now a "cabinet" councillor, will have talked to senior officers who can lay their hands on the old files/emails.

And on a more positive note, I can recommend the bacon and sausage sarnies at Nana Suzies, and you will struggle to get a better pint of Guiness in Haringey that the one they serve at Mannions

agreed - I have had a good experience with Cllr Watson both in helping out initially and then emailing a few months later to follow up... 

"Send over some fantastic Vietnamese restaurants". Twice in one day. We can't go on agreeing like this.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service