Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Well, John D rather "took his ball home", closing the previous thread after some racist comments were taken down. 

But I think that thread highlighted to me that as a community we DO need to discuss this further. In particular, given some of the (frankly) ignorance displayed, I think we should discuss whether anything could be done to improve relations with the traveller community. For example I think it would do a lot to change perceptions if a local traveller (or perhaps somebody from a body that represents them) posted here about their community, explaining a bit about who they are, where they typically set up camp, the problems they face. Its amazing how much harder it is to be hostile to people once they have a face and a name. 

Is that a good idea/bad idea? Am I being hopelessly naive? If its a good idea does anybody have any relevant contacts? Is there anything else we could do?

Conscious that there were some posters on the previous thread who seemed much more knowledgeable than me, so maybe they can help. 

Bracing myself to be shot down in flames... 

Views: 2825

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you...certainly a considerably nicer person than you...you go ahead and have your mindless jibes...run along...the grown ups are talking

Fly tipping of builder waste from the white van

Truly patronising...why don't you go and clear it up?

I appreciate your concern over the park, which I love too.

Maybe there is more waste outside that picture, but I could take you to several public places in Haringey where there is far more builders and other waste dumped on a regular basis.

How does that make it OK?  One person acts badly, but it's OK because somewhere else, someone acts worse?

Sure, two wrongs don't make a right but we agree that some crimes are worse than others and target limited resources accordingly. As far as I can see the commercial waste dumped by builders in the borough is far worse than anything in that picture, but they're respectable businessmen so that's OK I guess.

For what it's worth if the travellers did want to take a van load of rubbish to the recycling centre in Wood Green they'll need an appointment and proof of address. As the barrier to entry for our local amenities goes up, some people will inevitably be excluded.

You can take anything you want down there, whenever you want. No proof of address needed. Perhaps they're supposed to ask, but they don't and never have. It just can't be in a van.

BTW this thread is terrible. 

That's a big " if ".

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service