Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

** EDIT: full details of this event are HERE! **

This follows up an earlier post in the gardening forum about having an open gardens day in Harringay, something that quite a few people were interested in. I've had a look at various dates and am nominating Sunday July 1st for the day - I hope as many of you who expressed interest can make that (and of course anyone else who is interested!).

Please post here if you'd like to take part in this and I'll compile a list.

It's worth saying that I'm hoping this will appeal to a range of people. For some it might be that they are really keen gardeners and have a lovely garden that they want to show people and are happy to talk about. For others it will simply be about finding out what can be done with a similar space/soil/aspect to their own garden and/or showing their garden to other gardeners to get some ideas. So please don't feel that you can't join in just because you aren't an experienced gardener.

In terms of how I think it could work, my initial thoughts are:

• I'll compile a list of participating gardens and we'll have an approx time slot for each. (Otherwise I can't see a way of people being able both to host a visit and have a look at a few other gardens!). If you can only manage a particular time then please do say when you post below.
  • If you do want your garden to take part it would be helpful to know a little bit about what your garden is like. I'll then include that in the list as I'm sure people won't have time to visit every garden (so might need to choose). I'll kick off with my own garden below to give you an idea of what I've got in mind.
  • A few of the people who have expressed interest are outside of Harringay. I don't think that is a problem but it might of course limit how many people can visit them.
  • If you've got any seedlings or plants going spare then that would be great!

Over to you!

Tags for Forum Posts: gardens, harringay, open

Views: 699

Replies to This Discussion

I would love to visit all the gardens and also would be happy for anyone to have a look at mine in Effingham Road, decking, ponds and various old bits of metal and lots of other strange bits. 

Deborah

Thanks everyone. I'll leave this post open for another few weeks (mid June say) and then I'll draw up a plan that means people hopefully won't have to sprint all over the borough if they want to visit all the gardens!

Do please add details of your garden if you'd like it to be on the list - but just to repeat that you can visit the gardens without your own garden being on the list (if that makes sense!). 

Hi Alison,

I think we need to know who is planning to visit rather than people dropping round without an invitation so to speak - this is for insurance purposes.  It's OK to have a few friends round but I think it becomes difficult if you just throw open a pubic invitation to a private house. It doesn't matter if people don't have their own gardens but as long as this doesn't constitute an 'open garden' event, in which case we would have to fully insured.  Sorry to raise elf and safety but I don't want to be at risk.  So I think at least you will need to draw up a list of people who plan to come (it doesn't matter if those on the list don't come, but it does if people come who aren't on the list I think).  I know this because I the yellow book scheme covers your insurance, but people doing a local scheme have to take out their own.

Hi Kamila

Sorry not to have replied earlier. I've looked into this a bit in the meantime and I can see your point. There is a site here that has a discussion about it which is rather scary! From this it seems the most straightforward way around it is indeed to know who is coming in advance. So I suggest that when I confirm the list of gardens I also ask people to say if they intend to visit any of them (obviously not committing them to coming on the day). I'll then draw up a list and circulate among those of us whose gardens are open.

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me.  Really it is a bit silly isn't it that one has to go such lengths.  Thanks for your hard work in coordinating this.  I fear the best of my garden will be over - I have a superbly unruly Rambling Rector rose at the moment!

Kamila

Thanks Alison

I am also in Seymour Rd and have a south facing, small, secluded garden which looks at it's best right now (oriental poppies, white calla lilies, peonies, purple irises, clematis, roses, elephant ears, very robust grape vine shrub, some other shrubs I cannot name and small loan in the middle.  I also try to grow some strawberries and a few tomatoes.  It would probably look quite bare on the 1st but if anyone wants to have a look they are welcome.  

My main purpose to join this group is to really find an inspiration on how to transform my tiny garden so would be happy to see as many gardens as I can to get some ideas.

I am available, either to receive visitors or view other gardens on the 1st from, say, 9.30 am - till about 12.30, and then again after 4pm.

Look forward to this. All the best

Anna

Hi all - yes, I'm still very happy for people to visit my small wildlife garden on 1st. Should I post the address here, or shall I give you on phone, Alison? Please note: sadly I may not be able to visit any others on the day, You see, I don't have a car and waiting around at bus stops, etc plays havoc with my osteoporosis. Alison, please confirm you've got this message. Many thanks, Jeanette

Thanks Jeanette. I'd be happy to give you a lift to a few of them if that would be helpful?

Good point about addresses - I will message each of you privately about that.

Great, thanks everyone. Room for just a couple more - would be great to have some at the south end of the ladder or in the gardens ..

Assuming this rain ever stops of course ...

It wont rain on July 1st!  As I am last I will have tea and cake at the ready so people can relax in the sun!!

Thanks everyone who has agreed to take part in this. I'm suggesting the following order - it takes account of any time preferences you had, and tries where possible to group gardens geographically. I'm suggesting overlapping one hour slots so that if people want to visit a few they don't have to hang around. Please can you shout now if the time slot doesn't work.

In terms of next steps, I've created an open gardens event for July 1st (here) and asked people to indicate if they want to attend. I'll then send anyone who does our full addresses, and let you have a list of names. Of course not everyone will visit every garden!

1. Seymour Rd. 10-11. North facing Harringay ladder garden with some paving and a bit of decking around the house. I've recently dug up the lawn to fit in a few more plants! I don't really do fruit and veg. Plants include roses, lots of ferns, a rowan tree, cornus, witchhazel, euphorbia, dahlias, japanese anenomies, daphne etc
  2. Seymour Rd.  10.30-11.30. South facing, small, secluded garden which looks at it's best right now (oriental poppies, white calla lilies, peonies, purple irises, clematis, roses, elephant ears, very robust grape vine shrub, some other shrubs I cannot name and small loan in the middle.  I also try to grow some strawberries and a few tomatoes.  It would probably look quite bare on the 1st but if anyone wants to have a look they are welcome.
  3. Rutland Gardens. 11-12. My garden is south-facing in Rutland Gardens. I like to add more into it each year - just had a great day filling it up with some more vegetables. I like to plant edible plants (although not all are), mainly lots of fruit, herbs and veg. We have 5 apples and 4 pears trees and loads of currants bushes - have just found space for new french pink-currants, so am looking forwards to see and taste them. Tayberry is fab this year after being nothing for two years, blackberries are flowering well. We also have a roof-top alpine garden on top of our shed.
  4. Beresford Rd. 11.30-12.30. I have a south facing ladder garden except that having two very tall Lime trees at the bottom means only half the garden is in sun.  I have no lawn just beds and a couple of seating areas and paths made of gravel and paving.  I try and keep it under control but my garden has a mind of its own so its very informal with mixed areas for flowers fruit and veg and a bit of a woodland feel down the end.  I try and garden organically and encourage wildlife.  My little pond even has a few newts!  My prize and joy Includes a 12ft Banana tree which I love to bits.
  5. Effingham Rd. 12-1.00. Decking, ponds and various old bits of metal and lots of other strange bits!
  6. Wightman Rd. 12.30-1.30. Large garden backing on to the new river. The garden has a large 70 year old pear tree, a 35 year old walnut, three 25 year old apple trees, a plum tree, an ornamental crab apple and three dwarf fruit trees.  There is a grape vine which probably dates from 1962.  Continuing with the fruit there are four gooseberry bushes, three blackcurrants, a 15 foot row of raspberry canes and two thornless blackberries. There is some shrubbery with an ornamental Japonica, a Hebe, lilacs, a dogwood, Hypericum and a newly planted variety of broom.  There is also an ornamental cherry and a sizeable weeping willow and, mostly along the river path fence, several climbers, roses and Vyburnums.  The ground under the trees is mostly mown grass.  There are, at two different levels, clear areas of mown grass large enough for games such as badminton and archery.  There is a garden shed, built for goats and later converted to a play house and there is a swing suspended from the pear tree. About 10% of the garden is cultivated soil and this is used for vegetables, especially potatoes, climbing beans, courgettes and beetroot. There are also some slightly raised beds near the house giving about 300 sq feet of space for growing herbs, salad, chard, rhubarb, broad beans and strawberries.  Various other plants are scattered about such as horse radish, globe and Jerusalem artichokes and angelica.
  7. Sirdar Road (just off Westbury Avenue). 2.30-3.30. We would like to join in and open our west facing garden on Sirdar Road. It is a small garden behind the house about 5 x 15 meters, which we have unusually shaped around a tiny bit of lawn with front and back patios and a winding brick-paved path, combining fruit trees (cherry, apple and fig), grapes, blueberries, red currants, with flowering trees (evergreen magnolia, ornamental cherry) and perennial flowering shrubs (roses, choisa, celmatis, Mexican orange, many types of jasmine and others), bamboo and a tiny pond, and rhubarb, strawberries and a range of kitchen herbs variously grown in the ground and in pots. We have begun a small annex on the roof of the old one story kitchen extension growing tomoatoes, mangetout, red beets and beans in pots.
  8. Erskine Cres, N17. 3-4. I've sown a selection of wildflower seeds and they're coming along very nicely now.  In addition to the wildflower area, there's a small herb section and also a small pond, which I've also recently installed. It measures about 4ft x 2ft, with a mixture of surface and marginal plants, including a water lily, mace and, of course, oxygenators. Dense ivy is on two sides of the garden, where nesting birds have been seen for at least five consecutive years and, at the back, several varieties of moss have been introduced in the darker corners, along with lichen-laden branches and ferns, to add a woodland feel.  Apart from looking nice, this dead wood is home to many varieties of mini-beasts -- that's great for birds and invertebrates too! The whole garden is a postage stamp! It's only 15ft x 15ft, and is a prime example of what can be achieved within even the tiniest of spaces. It's been designed solely with wildlife in mind.  The few cultivar plants there are, are slowly being phased out.
  9. Stapleton Hall Rd N4. 5-6 . I have a 100 foot long by 30 foot wide south-facing garden on Stapleton Hall Road, more or less opposite St Aidan's Primary School.  It has a patio leading out from the French doors - or at least it did have until I dug most of it up for some raised beds for veg.  It doesn't have a lawn at all,but two wide borders separated by a railway sleeper path (appropriately running down almost to the Gospel Oak to Barking railway!  It has a large pond in need of attention and a greenhouse at the bottom.  Lots of trees, shrubs and perennials plonked any old how - and weeds (but they seem to be OK as some of the Chelsea show gardens had carefully planned weeds this year!).

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service