Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (472)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

The Day the Music Died - Harringay Crown Post Office Closes after 83 Years - what it Replaced in 1936

A post office in a stationers? Disgraceful.....and just like it was a hundred years ago. With the crown post office at 509 Green Lanes clos…

Started by Hugh

6 Apr 21, 2019
Reply by Mags D

Wood Green or Woodgreen?

According to Colonel Sir Henry James, Superintendent of the Ordnance Survey in the 1860s, Woodgreen/Wood Green in Tottenham (as it hen was)…

Started by Hugh

1 Apr 19, 2019
Reply by Lydia Walter

Boy Scout's Rally - Alexandra Palace 1922

Seen on another site. Palace Gates Station: "There was not a lateness amounting in the aggregate to two minutes in the trains - 17 Specials…

Started by StephenBln

2 Apr 13, 2019
Reply by Richard Matz

Cor Blimey, Ally Pally's on fire!

The British Movietone video is embedded below.

Started by EMC2

2 Apr 5, 2019
Reply by Renato B

Lost Pubs and The Bricklayers Arms, Edith Road (behind the Springfield Tavern)

Local historian, Albert Pinching (**doffs cap **), briefly mentions this pub on the estate behind The Springfield Tavern so your 'umble ob…

Started by Richard Matz

7 Apr 1, 2019
Reply by Richard Matz

When Baldwin's Edwardian Predecessor Sold a Motor (1913)

I'm not sure that the current proprietors of 469 Green Lanes would welcome the fact that their butcher's shop started off life as a funeral…

Started by Hugh

3 Mar 30, 2019
Reply by Richard Woods

Harringay Great Train Robber Acquitted

Coventry Evening Telegraph - 01 April 1964 Coventry Evening Telegraph - 14 July 1964 More on the detail of the charges: Birmingham Daily…

Started by Hugh

0 Mar 30, 2019

All that's Left of James Sydney Beale of Harringay

I came across the above image labelled First World War Death Plaque, James Sydney Beale, Harringay. I thought how awful for a family to b…

Started by Hugh

4 Mar 26, 2019
Reply by Bethany Burrow Atherton

Boundary Stone: Warwick Gardens > St Ann's Hospital 60 years after - 2018 & 1958

When I was last in London at the end of September, beginning of October. I tried once again to find the boundary stone which was once part…

Started by StephenBln

3 Mar 25, 2019
Reply by Hugh

Finsbury Park Astoria, Movie Night 1930 Image

Finsbury Park Astoria 

Started by John D

4 Mar 25, 2019
Reply by Hugh

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service