Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Local History (See History Group for main postings) (470)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

'Harringay' used to describe neighbourhood 180 Years Ago

I'm used to thinking of the name Harringay only having been used to describe our area sicnce the late 19th century. So I was surprised to c…

Started by Hugh

4 Mar 15, 2019
Reply by Richard Woods

Rubens found in Harringay Second-hand Shop

This from the North London Mercury and Crouch End Echo on September 22, 1900. 353 Green Lanes is a few shops down from The Beaconsfield and…

Started by Hugh

5 Mar 15, 2019
Reply by Richard Woods

"In Wet Weather, books must be protected"

At Stroud Green and Harringay library today, I picked up an old book that had been retrieved from Reserve Stock for display. Upon opening i…

Started by Liz

3 Mar 8, 2019
Reply by Kate Currie

Valentine's Day gig for the Rolling Stones in Manor House...

...in 1963 This is all the info I have, taken off a Stones fan site IT WAS 56 YEARS AGO TODAY! Feb. 14, 1963: Manor House Pub, Harringay J…

Started by Liz

8 Feb 15, 2019
Reply by Mavic Starfish

Pubs, Ponds and Power

Just finished on BBC 4 but presumably available on catchup - interesting documentary on the development of London from its medieval village…

Started by John D

4 Feb 6, 2019
Reply by John D

Latest plans for Conscientious Objection Remembered project

The following from Valerie Flessati, on behalf of Haringey First World War Peace Forum. This is the year when Haringey First World War Pe…

Started by HoL Site Admin

0 Feb 4, 2019

Grocery Store in the Former Fairline / Class A / Sira

If only if were that simple (and sorry, you're 116 years too late for your free butter dish!). Click the picture to read - our picture rota…

Started by Hugh

2 Jan 9, 2019
Reply by matt

An Xmas Hamper (and other delicacies) from Hornsey's 'Health' Food Company, 1920s

PR Food advertised themselves from two addresses in Tottenham Lane. 151 is the premises that now houses Domino's Pizza three shops down fr…

Started by Hugh

2 Dec 14, 2018
Reply by Geraldine

A West Indian football team in Harringay in 1928

Having watched Haringey Borough F.C. acquit themselves so well in the televised F.A. Cup match yesterday, thought I'd reproduce this report…

Started by Admiral

2 Nov 17, 2018
Reply by John Root

Exhibition: Inspiring Women of Haringey: A Suffragette in the Family

From 6 October 2018 to end March 2019 2018 is the centenary year of the Representation of the People Act. This allowed some women – those…

Started by Liz

3 Nov 16, 2018
Reply by Joanna Bornat

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service