Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

2062: The high street will be replaced by a virtual-physical hybrid

Perusing an article about business in 2062  (as you do) by sci fi writer Alastair Reynolds, I spotted this prediction for the future.  

As the little old lady, probably heavily augmented,  I might live to be, I'm not sure I'd want to buy my teabags and custard creams this way, but on the other hand maybe they'll create a 2012 corner shop just for me.

Advanced telepresence could replicate many of the benefits of being able to walk into a traditional shop. Indeed, robotics and Augmented Reality (AR) may open the possibility for hybrid high streets, which exist in both physical and digital spaces simultaneously.

An SME operating without a fixed location could rent empty property on a street which it then occupies with virtual products and services. There could be a hundred customers in the empty shop at one time, all experiencing different AR consumer environments. At the moment a virtual transaction is completed, robotic manufacturing and logistics systems swing into action.

Scary or exciting?

Tags for Forum Posts: high street

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Er, nonsensical? No idea why this would appeal to any consumer apart from the most crackpot!

I'm trying to work out what the different experiences might be if you've popped in to buy something.

Does a young man get 'bangin' toons' and cheerful young women serving him while the little old lady (me) get soothing songs from the 1970s and charming young men at the till? Will I be able to identify other fugitives from the 1970s to chat about my  grandchildren with (hopefully) or will I just be walking around the store on my own? 

I'm hoping for a little satire here from our regular contributors on Green Lanes in 2062 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service