Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

An Open Letter to Brain Haley about the Harringay CPZ & Sainsbury's Traffic

Dear Councillor Haley,

You will remember last year that there was significant opposition to the proposed changes to the Green Lanes CPZ by the residents of Harringay. As evidence of this we submitted a petition to you opposing the proposed hours reduction. This was signed by a greater number of residents than the number indicating in your survey that they favoured the changes.

Authority for making the decision on the CPZ was devolved to you personally. In exercising that power, you chose to disregard the objections of the residents and decided to proceed with the proposed changes.

You will also remember that one of our objections was that there seemed likely to be a significant increase in traffic to the area as a result of the development of the Arena and the expansion of Sainsbury’s. The reality has in fact been worse than our darkest fears. I think I am not being dramatic in describing the current traffic situation in Harringay as chaotic. Both parking and traffic at the development are now major problems. However, the Arena has yet to reach full operating capacity. With a Fitness First opening soon, the level of traffic will increase further. I recognise that the Council is awaiting improvements to nearby traffic lights with a view to improving the traffic problems at Williamson Road. However, whilst this may diminish the problem, it will do nothing to reduce traffic volume and may even serve to increase it as people learn it is flowing more freely.

Once the new CPZ hours come into operation, particularly the removal of Sunday restrictions, and with ever-increasing traffic volume around the Arena development, it is highly probable that Arena customers, and perhaps even some Sainsbury’s customers will choose to use nearby residential streets for parking. There will also be a knock-on effect for Green Lanes premises patrons who might previously have used Arena/Sainsbury’s parking facilities. As you are aware increased parking in some streets leads inevitably to a knock-on effect for quite some distance. So it is likely that a high proportion of the neighbouring streets will be affected. This has happened in the past, in one instance as an effect of the phased introduction of CPZs.

Given the strong likelihood of further serious deterioration in the parking and traffic situation for Harringay residents and the existing strength of opposition to the CPZ changes (I recognise it’s not universal), please will you consider postponing the implementation of the new hours until further consideration is given to the situation in light of recent developments.

Yours sincerely,

Hugh etc

Tags for Forum Posts: Ladder CPZ, cpz, parking, sainsbury's, traffic

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Following a conversation I had with Councillor Haley at the last Area Assembly, I have now received this reply:

Dear Hugh,

Thank you for your email of 16 January 2008 regarding the changes to the operational times of the Green Lanes CPZ.

I am happy to meet you to discuss your issues and my Cabinet Support Officer, has suggested 5th February at River Park House. Please confirm if this is convenient for you.

The decision to reduce the operational hours of both Green Lanes ‘A’ and ‘B’ CPZ was taken after an extensive consultation process where the views of all sections of the community were sought and carefully considered. In reaching that decision I considered the feedback from the informal consultation process carried out in November 2006 and the representations received as part of the statutory process which concluded in June 2007.

With regards to the Arena Retail Park, I have held a number of meetings with various agencies to discuss the issues and possible initiatives to improve the efficiency of the junction.

I look forward to meeting you in due course to discuss your issues further.

Yours sincerely,

Councillor Brian Haley

Cabinet Member for Environment and Conservation

I will let the letter stand by itself. For those of you who haven't been following the discussion this post will give the background and my view on the consultation that was undertaken.
Hi Hugh,
well done for getting a response.

We'll now have to see how long they're willing to faff around to rectify the massive mistake that's been made. Looking forward to an update after your meeting.
Apparently Sainsbury's have approached the council several times to get the junction sorted out, by the way. And the council has done precisely nothing. Not impressed.
This morning I had my meeting with Brian Haley. Both Brian's written response to me (above) and a snatched conversation at the Area Assembly last week made it clear that there is currently no room to negotiate a review of the previous decision on the CPZ. So, I spent little time on that.

There are some wider issues which I explored with Brian and which he has agreed to sit down and discuss with a group of residents. I will be aiming to arrange that over the coming weeks. And, rather than, go through what happened today at this point, I will give you clear feedback following that meeting.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service