Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Found this floating about on the internet, showing crime being committed on our very own no.29 bus route (warning: includes bad language).

Clearly not a pleasant experience for other passengers.

Tags for Forum Posts: 29, Route, TfL, buses, crime, public transport, transport

Views: 316

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oooh. That's all a bit gritty. Seems like there was a moment of indecision by our "photgrapher" and they nearly got off the bus. Strange call to stay on, but there ain't no accountin'..........
It certainly is. Crime on bus 29 was a hot topic at the recent Police Ward panel meeting. The stats for arrests are significant but probably only the tip of the iceberg. The video on youtube graphically illustrates just how out of control things can get on our buses when it comes to crime.

Be safe ... ride the tube.
The 29 is one of the worst bus routes I have been on for pick-pockets. I have personally experienced a woman trying to steal from my bag (she got off quite quickly when I realised) and many of my friends have had their possessions stolen whilst travelling on this bus. I believe that thieves must target this route specifically - you can get on it for free and it is often crowded. I guess it is possible that there is a gang of people behind this. Good to see the police have been taking note.
Yes I think they target peak times are when people are trying to get home at night.

I yelled at a bloke pulling at my bag when I was trying to get a buggy on the bus and he backed off pretty quick...angry, tired mother is not to be trifled with...

The police are trying. I saw the police stop a guy boarding the 29 bus outside the post office because he had just jumped off the one before and I have seen officers on the bus in the morning.

Also, I think this was a problem before the new system. My cousin's bag was opened on the old style bus during a crush...it's just made it a bit cheaper as they don't pay a fare to get on!
Oh yes there has always be pick pocketing on buses but it has reached new heights with 'eastern European gangs' (police quote) targeting bendy buses. It's out of control but the local police and the Transort police are targeting it.

If everyone in the community could just be very, very aware of whats going on and if possible take the tube for the meantime until this is (hopefully) sorted out.
I agree that people should take more time to look around them.

Londoners (especially young ones, not old fogies like me who usually only have a library card and some old shopping lists in their pockets!) are rich pickings these days, carrying hundreds of pounds worth of gadgets around (phone, iPod, laptop,etc) as well as oystercard, wallet and credit cards and so on and the younger ones often cut themselves off with headphones etc (not that I blame them - the night bus is grim). A fav trick is for someone to ask the time as a lot of people will then look at their phone and show the trickster all he/she needs. Yet I still see people falling for this...

As for the tube...shall we start another forum on the horrors of the tube?!!
Never thought of the phone trick as I too are from the generation that still uses a watch! If I'm popping down to the pub I don't take my whole wallet.

The tube: OK I'll admit I don't have to do rush hour travelling on public transport and thankfully have just got away from having to cart a push chair up and down stairs in stations!

Agree though the young ones are loaded up with goodies these days, ripe for rich pickings.
Whenever I am on the bus, tube or train, I am always aware where my belongings are and have myt hands on my pocket and bag.

I know too many people who have been pickpocketed. The 29 and getting on any bus at Manor House are hot spots.

My neighbour was cheesed off when they nicked his pipe, I bet the pickpockets were too when they found out what they'd nicked, He he!

I was thinking off getting numerious old wallets and filling them full of photocopied notes and "Stuff You Scum" cards in there, hoping to get 'pocketed.
Clive James used to carry a fake wallet with a few dollars and old cards in it to give to muggers on his travels. I do the same in London!

Having been a victim of crime myself, I find it slightly more reassuring when I carry it. It could get you away quickly. I have written expletives on the back of old cash cards too ;o)
Or a 'Get out of UK' card. :)
This is awful! The 29th has changed for the worse since it became a bendy bus. I use it as little as possible, I'd rather walk to Manor House and get the 253.
For those of you who are on Facebook, check out the "29, the bus of crime" group. A lot of people are saying the love it "coz is free". Lovely. That's why it's so crowded now, it's "free". At least you had to pay on the old double decker. And it was never as bad as it is now. According to TFL it's the 3rd most dangerous route in London!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23431969-details/CCT...

We need the double deckers back. It will also get these long monstrosities off Green Lanes, they take up far too much space, and cause even more congestion.
I'm not part of Facebook but it's incredible to hear a group exists to brag about how 'free' the 29 bus is. The TfL rep at the police meeting was given a very clear message that the 29 bus is seen as a free route by locals. He seems unperturbed but was probably putting on a brave face.

Yes lets bring back the double decker!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service