Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

At the last Area Assembly Councillor Canver mentioned a solution to clearing problem rubbish in neighbours' front gardens. I contacted her afterwards and asked if she might provide additional details. I have just received her reply including a response from the the appropriate council officer, which I have reproduced below:

Local Authorities have the power to issue several types of Statutory Notice requiring land owners or occupiers of land to clear any build up of waste or anything else that is either harmful to human health, Nuisance, detrimental to the local amenity or providing harbourage for rats and mice. These circumstances are judged by authorised officers by way of a visit to the location. Quite often, issues such as these can be solved by negotiation but authorised officers can serve notice at any time and require the owner/occupier to carry out work, which is reasonable, to improve the area. If the owner/occupier fails to carry out the work, they are in breach on the notice and can be prosecuted and fined for this breach.

The Council, in these circumstances, would usually carry out necessary work in default and charge the owner/occupier for this work. These Notices can be a very effective way in clearing land but can take some time in achieving the required result. Owner/occupiers have a right of appeal to a magistrate if they believe the Notice is unfair or drafted incorrectly. Notices, once served, must by law give the recipient time to carry out the work required, usually 28 days from the serving of the Notice.

Haringey Council is very proactive in the use of Statutory Notices as a tool to encourage compliance of the law, in the current financial year to date, 2,974 Statutory Notices have been served concerning land, environmental crime, food safety and a range of other statutory functions carried out by the Enforcement Service.

The legislation used mostly in connection with the service of notices is;

· Environmental Protection Act 1990

· Town and Country Planning Act 1990

· Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949

I have asked Nilgun to let me have contact details for the appropriate department and I will post them as soon as I have them.

Tags for Forum Posts: front gardens, housing, rubbish

Views: 501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is brilliant! Fingers crossed..
Entre nous (and a couple of thousand other folk), this came up this evening in the Harringay Charter meeting and a proposal to tackle this should be part of the charter. Cllr Canver sees it as a key part of a broader enforcemnt push in teh neighbourhood.

A huge nod here to our new(-ish) local Bobby, Jono. He was, at the risk of sounding like someone needing to get off a speeding ticket, brilliant.

He has a very community focussed approach to neighbourhood policing, seeing how tackling issues such as traffic and rubbish have a significant impact on perceptions of safety and reducing crime.

He was vociferous in his support of tackling front garden rubbish and also has a wonderful set of ideas about reducing traffic in the Ladder roads.

So impressed was I that I commented to him that if stood for election this May he'd get my vote and likely many many more.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service