Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

So I'm signed up for Google alerts with the keyword 'Harringay', and this is what was delivered to me this morning:

http://www.bookxo.com/viewthread.php?tid=135310 [seems to be a messageboard with questions about moving to London, or doing business in London for non-Londoners]

-----------------------------------------------------
Camberwell, SE5 or Harringay, N4?
Hi Everyone,

I need some people who are familiar with London to tell me which area of these two is safer and better to live in?

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

Don't know Camberwell, but Harringay is predominantly Greek and Turkish. It is also an area with a high number of murders. These are not, on the whole, random murders, so it is safe for walking the streets etc.
-------------------------------------------------------

So I already like the area, and this hasn't stopped me wanting to move there ... but geez, surely there must be better things to say about Harringay than that it is reasonably safe to walk around because the murders tend not to be random ones?!

Tags for Forum Posts: google, harringay

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,

I'm the blogger behind A blog for Finsbury Park N4 and I just published yesterday an entry related to the crime statistic in the area: Crime statistics June 2007.

It doesn't appear to me to be worst than other places. Haringey in general is doing better than 12 months to 06/06 and in line with London average.

Regards,

Admin of A blog for Finsbury Park N4

P.S.: I've added the link to your web site and an RSS feed with the headlines from this forum.
Now that's wierd, I have the same Google alert and didn't get that one.

My frustration with that grimy/gritty view of Harringay was what got me involved in web 2.0 really. A few months ago I browsed through a relatively stubby Wikipedia entry on Harringay which gave a pretty grim impression. I thought "That's not the Harringay I know..........let me just have a go at editing it a little bit....". And, like going into the garden to trim just a couple of branch ends and ending up cutting down the tree, my edit rewrote the Harringay page with 5 pages of Harringay history too boot.
I'll definitely agree, the image of Harringay being put forward until recently, of death and decay, is at odds to what I've experienced over the past three years. I've always felt safe walking down Green Lanes at night, because there's always a lot of people around, the place is well lit and families are often out and about eating in restaurants etc. I've walked around some of the more upmarket areas of London and not felt as safe...

Good work on the Wikipedia front, I never knew about the Salisbury's illustrious film career :)
What's that, Salisbury's is famous as well as being the best local i've ever had?!.. i'll have to read about that. About feeling safe, I agree it's not too bad for violence or fighting around here, and I feel less at threat of being beaten up than I did when I lived in Camberwell (where I felt the most nervous).. and New Cross (which actually wasn't too bad, although I saw fights every Friday and Saturday on my way home). But, I have to be honest and as a young(ish) woman I do feel highly intimidated sometimes when venturing out onto Green Lanes. As we all know, there are always crowds of blokes just hanging about.. and generally doing no harm at all, but that doesn't stop them from leering and making comments which can make me feel really vulnerable, particularly at night time. Maybe i'm being unfair, I don't think that as groups of young men they are any more disrespectful than any other groups of guys anywhere else, but there are just so many of them and they ALWAYS make comments/follow you up the road/push each other into you, etc. rather like in the schoolyard! AND... (excuse me, it's turning into a rant).. even the old men are like it. I mean, that's just wrong! I just wish they knew how intimidating it was - how would they feel if old men leched and made comments without any respect for their daughters?!! Anyway, my friend who also lives in the area and is a member here (Rita) has set up a group for women to feel safe in the area.. We are hoping more women will join (and men too, if it's of interest!) and plan to meet up in the Salisbury's to concoct plans to deal with it - or at least have a good moan over a beer!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service