Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yesterday I came a cropper trying to navigate a pram and a toddler past a pile of dog shit in the passage right outside the entry to SHJS. What can we do??? I'm so fed up with lazy dog owners who just can't see why they should clean up after their pets.

I know that the Council have put up lots of bins and strongly worded signs, but I can't really see how they can enforce the law (and I'm sure that is what the dog owners think too). I've heard people mention CCTV, but how would that work if all you have is a blurry picture of a dog/owner and a pile of poop?

Is there any way of persuading people that cleaning up after their dog is the best thing to do? Frankly, it they can't be bothered to clean up outside a busy school gate that to me suggests someone who really does not give a **** about where they live - and is there any realistic way of getting through to someone like that?

Sorry, rant over. Does anyone have any ideas? And can anyone solve the mystery of the person who paints round the poo in yellow?!!! I completely applaud their desire to highlight this, but am intrigued about their method.

Tags for Forum Posts: dog, dog poo, passage

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are a lady after Birdy_Too's heart. He's as miffed about this issue as you. (Catchy title for the post, by the way)
The councillors have requested evidence including photographic to be sent to them. Get your cameras out and let 'em have it!
The problem is two-fold. Firstly, not one irresponsible dog owner has ever received a fine for fouling in the Passage (only 3 were handed out in the whole of Haringey Borough last year!!!) and secondly the street cleaners who have the horrible job of picking up this mess have not been briefed properly by their employees (Haringey Accord - a private company) that they should be picking up the mess, so sometimes they leave it entirely. They also do not have the correct tools to pick up the mess properly - they only have a stiff brush and shovel and no fluid to clean their soiled brushes or the residue left on the ground; it's no wonder they are reluctant to do it.

This is a problem that can be solved, but it will take pressure from a lot of local residents. Who wants to meet up to discuss how this might happen?

Liz, which councillor requested photographic evidence?
Carolyn Baker in the LCSP meeting last night.
does she want evidence of dogs and owners or just photos of the shit?
Well, both I guess but I think the point is to go to Accord and discuss what you've outlined above.
How about putting up some of these?

(I DO take this issue seriously, promise - just trying to lighten the mood tonight a bit. It all seems to have got a bit black.)
I used to live on a road which had dog poo problems. Someone went round and put little white flags on sticks in them. Written on the flags was the word OFFENSIVE. Amazingly, this tactic worked.
It is not just a passage problem (no pun intended, sorry!) but a general Ladder roads one. On one of the Ladder Roads there is a middle aged couple who used to let their dogs out of their front door to poop on the pavement. A deliberate way to ensure it ends up on the soles of a local toddler rather than somewhere in their back garden. I think they have stopped now. Maybe someone stuffed their unwanted goods back throught their letterbox.

Not long ago, in my rush to go back in my house and get something I had forgotten while loading the car I managed to walk poop all over the living room carpet. Some g*t let their dog do it right on my doorstep (yes, inside my gate) and I only realised what I had done when I realised it could not be even my cooking that smelt that bad. I could have hung drawn and quartered whoever it was and who forced me to spend an evening on my knees with a bucket of hot water and dettol.

I feel terribly strongly about it because if someone wouldn't let their dog do it in their own hallway, they should not do it on what amounts to public 'hallways' either. It is a complete disregard for one's fellow man and I just wish there was an acceptable way to name and shame them. Fines never work.

Do like the sign Hugh. Can I have one for my front door please.
OK, so how about:

Yeh, that one will do! Actually I think there is an ancient law where you are allowed to keep an object or animal found on your land. Dognap and ransom for cost of new carpet is an option therefore.
I totally agree with Alison. Maybe we should actually give Carolyn Baker photos of the shit?
We could easily cover a few roads each and agree what bits of the passage we'll do each, co-ordinate it, and then send all our photos of that particular day's catch with road names. That should give her an idea of how bad the problem really is. Anyone up for it?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service