Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I heard about the Community Volunteers scheme and thought I'd better find out more about it. Below is the reply to my enquiry. I've also attached a copy of their lateest members newsletter to give you a broader idea of what the scheme's about.

Dear Hugh,

Thank you for your interest in the Community Volunteers (CV) scheme.

I manage the CV scheme on a day-to-day basis and have explained a bit more about what it involves below. If you would like me to add your details to the membership list I would be very pleased to do this.

The CV scheme aims to encourage community involvement and provide local people with an opportunity to take positive action to improve their local environment. As a Community Volunteer you are in a great position to make a difference to your neighbourhood, by reporting issues that affect the local environment to the Council, such as graffiti and dumped rubbish, and working with us to improve services.

We have recently produced a Community Volunteers Information Pack which all CVs receive, that provides contact details for a wide variety of Council services, including dedicated freephone numbers and email addresses with which to report local environmental issues, as well as further information about the scheme.

We also encourage Community Volunteers to get involved with what is happening in their area, such as attending Area Assemblies, and send out regular newsletters (preferably by email – so please let us know if you would prefer to receive updates by email rather than letter) with information on items such as volunteering opportunities, local community events, and funding opportunities for community groups. We also seek the views of CVs on new Council services and projects. I’ve attached the most recent newsletter here as a sample of the kind of information we send out.

Quarterly social meetings are also arranged where you can find out more about Council services, talk to other Community Volunteers about what they are doing in their areas, and raise particular issues with the Recycling & Community Projects Team, who run the scheme. Our next meeting will be on Thursday 3 April, starting from 5.30 at the Civic Centre (Wood Green). I hope you may want to come along and meet some of the other Community Volunteers and members of our team.

As a Community Volunteer you are free to donate as much or as little time as you wish – just taking the time to keep an eye on your area and phoning through issues can make a difference to your community.

Please let me know if you would like me to add your details to the membership list and I will then send out an Information Pack and future newsletters.

Kind regards,

Dimitra Rappou
Recycling Officer- Education and Community Involvement
London Borough of Haringey
Tel: 020 8489 3261
Fax: 020 8489 4500
Email: Dimitra Rappou

Tags for Forum Posts: community volunteers, volunteering

Views: 107

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Has anyone on this site registered fot this scheme? Could they tell me more about it?
(I deleted myself btw, not as painful as it sounds)
No, but I have sent off for an information pack, I'll pass it on.
Great, I would be v interested
Actually, I've added myself to their list as well. Perhaps we can compare notes about this scheme later
Charlotte, have you had anything from this scheme yet?
I had an emailed response but have not had anything though the post as yet. It's only been a few days though!
True, I'll have to be patient...its just I don't get much post...:D
Right, I got the pack, it contains a lot of useless plastic for something that says it's trying to improve the environment but also alot of very useful numbers for reporting waste and problems on the streets, dumped cars or badly cared for trees etc. It says these are dedicated to CV people. I shall use them where appropriate and am asking the guy for an address to send the massive folder thing back to. He can send it to someone else!
Look forward to receiving mine.
p.s. have started a blog about us superheroes. Feel free to join me in recounting our adventures...:D

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service