Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I really appreciate the short stretch of the New River which runs from Hornsey Station up to Wightman Road between Hewitt and Allison Roads. When I used to commmute into London every day I'd sometimes take the train to or from Hornsey instead of the closer option of Harringay. It's incredible how relatively peaceful the walk along the river is. The green and the peace on occasions were required antidotes to the day yet to come or the one just done.

Walking along it this morning, I was pleased to see the family of swans with their near-grown cygnets craning their necks under the water as they fed.

One spring morning on the way to work some years ago I met another family of swans with rather younger offspring. The parents were understandably protective. As I passed one of the adults, it jumped out of the water behind me and started flappping its wings and hissing to warn me off. Fair enough, but the path infront of me was also blocked by his or her mate and the young swans. The mate also started an aggresive display. Yikes! No going back, no way forward. I guessed, probably correctly, that it was unwise to tangle with parent swans guarding their young. The standoff lasted for more than five minutes, and I missed my train. But it was still a nice start to the day.

But I digress. Walking home this morning, I was saddened by the litter lining the river and the weeds and litter clogging the river at the Wightman Road end. What a shame. Then I began thinking how underused this amenity is. From a selfish perspective, that's fine; I've no wish to see it crowded. But, perhaps if it was more used, it would be better kept - and perhaps there is a way it could be used differently. A few thoughts ocurred to me. What do you think? How could this amenity be better cared for or brought into better use without spoiling it?

Any ideas?

Tags for Forum Posts: local ideas, new river, new river path, walk

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if the street cleaners that trawl up and down the ladder all day would be able to incorporate the wightman road end of it onto their rounds if the council was informed of the problem? I think with so much of the river blocked off it isn't common knowledge that thath part of the path is accessible.I've been meaning to give it a try myself.
What about corporate sponsorship, (for example the German, Swedish & French car accessories place on Wightman?), they could pay the water co. to keep it tidy in exchange for ads. Appreciate that might be some people's idea of spoiling the walk though, if the ads were intrusive.
Know what you mean about the swans though, I used to jog along there last year and one time the protective mum reared up so high her head was the same level as mine; pretty intimidating. Maybe they could sponsor the swans.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service