Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello

I have lived in an HMO on Burgoyne Road since Jan 2005. The house is shared by 10 people, three of which live in a converted attic. It is far from being perfect, specially since 7 of us share the kitchen and all 10 the two bathrooms, but it was working somewhat ok until this year. One of the tenants in the house is a man from Asia. He lives in a room no larger than maybe 7X9m. Without asking for permission from either the landlord nor the rest of the tenants he sneaked his girlfriend into his room and she proceeded to live in the house. We, the other tenants, only found that out when she started using the shared kitchen daily. My boyfriend and I protested over and over again to our landlord but to no avail. Our landlord is not bothered by any protests as he lives in South London and only comes to the house to collect rent. The family living in the attic also has problems with the fact that we have a "stranger" amongst us. The other tenants are mostly foreign and are seemingly never bothered by anything....
My question to all members is the following:

-Isn't overcrowding a house (and most specifically a room fitted for only one occupant) against HMO legislation? Where can I find this out?

-Do you think my boyfriend and I risk being evicted if we complain about this to the Council? Is there legislation protecting tenants from random eviction? We think that our landlord, being the type who doesn't bother about anything and only provides the minimum necessary to comply with the laws, is going to want to get rid of us the minute we start "causing trouble"...

-Since all tenants share the gas bill, this extra person is also increasing our monthly bill, not to mention the fact that we only have hot water for a limited period of time each day and an extra person equals less hot water for all. Do you think we could also argue this point with the Council?

At this point you might be asking yourself why on Earth we choose to live under such conditions. The answer is simple. I have visited plenty of HMOs that were worse, much worse. Our room is spacious, I am close to my college and...above all...I have worked really hard and transformed the house's back garden and it now an oasis to wildlife and I don't want to leave that behind...not now when it has just become beautiful....

I will welcome any answers, ideas on how to get my landlord to heed our plight.

Thank you.

Tags for Forum Posts: hmo, landlord, tenant

Views: 62

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

7x9m is 81square metres.... that's a huge room! Did you mean feet?

IMHO... and this is just as an ex resident of such a house... you need to speak to your housemates and you all need to speak to him. He was obviously too shy/weak to speak to you about her moving into his room in the first place. He probably just needs a couple of issues like the hot water and bathroom space pointed out to him and surely they both do their share of the cleaning etc?

Good luck.
Mara,

It may be worth your taking a look at this page on Harigey Council's website about HMOs and how to report a problem with them and this part of Haringey's Unitary Development Plan with info about dwelling standards.

You can get advice and help with the issue from a special department at Haringey Council for helping private tenants.

You also have three councillors in the Harrringay ward who should be able to advise and represent you. You can find their contact details here.

Hope this is helpful in giving you some places to start off with.
Hi Mara,
sounds like a nightmare! Hugh has given you some good links and advice, and it seems you can get the landlord in big trouble if you want to. I can understand if you don't want to at the moment, but please do everyone a favour and report him as soon as you've decided to move out (whenever that would be), so he can be dealt with properly. From what you're saying it does not seem as if your housemates will do anything.
Just out of interest, does your landlord get payments in cash? If so, a little tip off to the Inland revenue might be beneficial. He's clearly crammed FAR too many people in to the house, and it would not surprise me if it's an illegal conversion. Have you checked the council's planning page? You can find it on the access tab above.
There are also fire regulations to consider with so many of you in there. That said, you cannot legally be evicted for speaking up against the landlord. If you're a student you're even safer, as you will be an assured tenant regardless of length of lease.

If you're not happy with your general living standards, you should speak up, and if the landlord tries to evict you he's in for more trouble than he bargained for - and you're safe.
This link is really useful re. your rights as a private tenant: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/housing/private_s...
The hot water for parts of the day does not sound quite right, I think you have legal rights to what you reasonably need to live.
Here's another good link: http://www.cxstaffs.co.uk/yp/living/Housing/Tenants-Rights.cfm

I would talk to the man in question, and tell him about your concerns re. hot water etc.
I would also politely inform him that the landlord will be informed if his girlfriend does not move out pronto. Chances are he won't know that the landlord may not care, and that will be enough to scare him to get her out. From what you're saying it's unlikely that your other housemates will say anything.. I'd try a bluff first, and if he calls it, try another one involving the council and the size of his room + one extra person. Might work.
And hope he's not reading this.. :D

Good luck!!!!
I know some people use a Trangia to make a cup of tea in their rooms. It might be an idea to make sure your fire alarms are working...
Hi Mara,
I'm speechless! If they have some kind of a cooker thingy in their broom-cupboard of a room, then surely they're violating fire regulations? Are everyone in the house private, or are some council tenants? If they are, call the council, I'll give you some names if you need them. I also believe it's illegal to have that many people in one property.
Also, have a look at Ben's comments below. And hey, I'm sure he's a nice landlord, you should get in touch with him. :)
Let us know how you're getting on. HMO's are one of my pet hates, and I really feel for you. Happy to try and help if you need it!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service