Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I was wondering if anyone has any idea where I can find a damper flap for my fireplaces? A damper flap is what sits inside the fireplace, on top of the insert, and it stops drafts coming down the chimney (stick your head in, look up, and imagine a sheet of metal blocking the chminey).
That's what I want it for anyway, am desperately trying to make my house a bit more energy efficient for the winter.

My problem is that I need a square one, not the usual rounded ones.

If anyone has any idea what I am talking about and where to get one, let me know! I have tried the place on Tottenham Lane already.

..not expecting a lot of replies here, but worth a shot.

Tags for Forum Posts: damperflap, fireplace

Views: 1337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ruth, I'll send you the name and number for the guy I used when I get home. I think it was in the region of £40 - £50, can't remember. It's recommended you have your chimney cleaned every year. We had not done that, and he took out 12 kg (!!!) of soot and stuff. How scary is that? Some of it can turn to charcoal inside the chimney, catch fire, and that could potentially be very bad.

My chimney balloon has now arrived btw. I have not fitted it yet. Wish I had though, as when I got home late Friday night, I had a huge crow in my front room! It had fallen down the chimney, and was just as confused about our encounter as I was. Cue a massive scream from me, lots of flapping and pooing everywhere from the bird, and me promptly round to the neighbour ask him to help me get the beast out.
Paul next door got the bird trapped in a towel and released it. It was unharmed, and probably just as shaken up as I was.

I like nature, but would prefer to go to it, not for it to come to me..
Goodness me! what a thing, a crow coming down the chimney! and all that soot. I should get it sorted out soon with all this rain. I hope you recovered from that ordeal. having flapping birds in the house is no joke. take care and thanks for your messages. I dont check mine too often hence the rather late reply
all the best
Ruth
All good now. Has made for a great story!

The people I used to sweep the chimney are H Firkin & Sons, 0208 360 1515. Very happy with their work!
did u get a balloon yet?
yep, but have to managed to get it in there yet - have been too busy (and a bit lazy..)
I'll let you know as soon as it's in. You can even come round and have a look if you like.
cool, let me know
is it in?
Just put it in now. Think I did it wrong, but the draft has stopped, so who cares if it looks a mess up there. Yay! Pop round and have a look if you like.
good to hear that it worked
Someone I know needed something similar and called this company and they had the part. Good luck.
Joe, thanks for that. The chimney balloon is great if you're not using the fireplace, but a damper flap is way more practical if you are.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service