Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

ON HOL

ON OUR FACEBOOK EVENT

Back in the spring I picked up on an interesting new shop local movement that emerged in New York last Autumn. 

I discussed the idea with Richard from Bowes and Bounds and we were hoping to get the UK's first 'cash mob' going locally in May. For one reason and another that didn't work out and Hackney have pipped us to the post. I still think it would be a great idea to get something set up soon for Harringay.

Not sure what a cash mob is? Many of you will have heard about 'flash mobs' - groups of people, who assemble suddenly in a place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act and then disperse.

A cash mob is similar. It's a group of people who pledge to buy items at a local business that could use the trade. They meet at an agreed time, spend an agreed amount and usually link a social activity for those involved, like all going for a drink, or a coffee together. The purpose is primarily to support valued local businesses and also to provide another chance for locals to meet up in a fun environment. With me so far?

There are a number of businesses that are worthy contenders to be the recipient of the first mob and after much discussion and deliberation Harringay Market has been chosen. This is a great, new friendly Market that's grabbed attention in Time Out, the Evening Standard and most recently the Daily Telegraph, but it still needs to consolidate and scale up local support to ensure the various stall holders have reason to keep coming back.

Jessica, who runs it, has managed to find some truly fabulous traders for the market. There’s a terrific choice of delicious food, to eat there or take away, there are superb craft stalls and there’s plenty more besides. If you haven’t already been there, then this is a fantastic opportunity to come and support this welcome addition to Harringay. It runs from 11am-3pm every Sunday at North Harringay Primary School in Falkand Road.

I've been talking to a few locals ands there seems to be agreement that a cash mob would be a hugely positive thing for the community to do to support the market.  So on Sunday September 23rd Harringay will witness its first ever Cash Mob. And you are very much encouraged to be part of it.

To be part of the 'cash mob', you need to pledge to spend at least £10 at the market. Aim to arrive at around 1.00pm. Come with a crisp £10 note, as we’ll be taking photographs for HoL and to cover the print side of things, we'll make sure that we get the local press involved. We'll be wanting the mob to wave notes above their heads for a true cheesy local media pic!

After the photos etc, you can enjoy a very pleasant hour or so at the market, tasting delicious food, picking up something for dinner and generally having a good time. If the weather’s good, then we’ll head to a local park after this for a picnic, so you might want to pick up some of the salad, bread or cheese while you’re there too.

We'll try and get music and entertainment for kids on the Sunday too, as we really want it to feel like a big party.

The whole point of this cash mob is to help raise the profile of the Market and to celebrate having it here and also to emphasise the strength of this community. I do hope you’ll get behind it and look forward to seeing some of you on Sunday September 23rd

We need you to help with the marketing too! If you're on Twitter, please get tweeting about it - use the #cmobharringay tag; if you're on Facebook, tell you're friends about it, if you're on the phone, call your friends, if you're on the street, just stand up and shout!

Show your support by signing up on our event listing on the website here or on the Facebook event.

Tags for Forum Posts: cashmob, harringay market

Views: 2406

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a great idea. Keeping it local is always refreshing. :)

oh fantastic idea, count us in!  any chance of some temporary signs on green lanes directing people to it as well??

Great idea - if anyone will make them on behalf of the community.

The suffragettes used to patiently hammer into penny coins a pattern of dimples that read:

NOW

and put them into back circulation (N.O.W. was the National Organisation of Women).

Couldn't find an image but here's a similar one from 1903 from that History of 100 objects BBC prog:

Maybe people on the ladder could write 

CASHMOB

in pencil (so it can be rubbed out) on the notes they spend locally until the event...

Thank you things are Progressing here. I have an idea and I'm sure you heard it here first; it may not be local but a bit further afield but should enable a lot to happen.

1. Carrotmob the airlines into being greener in the fuels they use.
2. Carrot mob the political parties into finding a way to tax airline fuel in a way that businesses and individuals will be prepared to engage with the idea as a Progressive tax, the UK to be an exemplar nation. I know how to do it LOL have been thinking of it and think it could work - win win I can't think of anyone who would object in the long run.

Sorry if a bit off topic Should this be a new discussion?

Dugan Warn

Very nice.  I think there are more people than ever who can see practical and realistic ways forward that are fair and will go towards addressing the problems of climate change, running out of oil and the recession - are they prepared to take a small step themselves or is it just a sincerely-held wish?

The group I joined claim to be the fastest growing social network - started in Totnes, grown in six years to having an 'initiative' in 34 countries and embarked upon 1,000 projects so far, mainly small and local.

Things like 'greening' a small bit of public land, or a regular documentary screening to help people confront the issues, some local food growing in a small public area. A few with bigger budgets, like food-growing on the roof of a supermarket that sells it below, a hydro-electric dam across a local river, a local currency, community-owned solar panels, or the recent £1m project around Finsbury Park, involving Haringey, Hackney and a housing association.

So it's a lot of like-minded people with a 'just do it' attitude - don't wait for government, get on and do it. I like one of the slogans - 'be the change you want to see'.

The cashmob is a great example of good stuff where everyone wins and doing this sort of thing you get to meet often very nice new local people and have a good time doing it. And you can make a measurable difference that improves your own environment, gaining more local control - what's not to like?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service