Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In this issue:

• Carer's Week - we offer advice to carers
  • Better Care Fund - working together for better health and social care
  • Raising stroke awareness - soap star Rudolph Walker (see photo) tackles life changing storyline
  • A wonderful friendship - a new friendship for 91 year old Mary
  • Congratulations Volunteers - the heartbeat of our services

Summer 2014 newsletter

Tags for Forum Posts: befriending, carers, charity, disabilities, elderly, healthy, living, older, people, stroke, More…volunteering

Views: 182

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting the newsletter Clem.

I see that Age UK Haringey still very busy and doing good things in the community. Often doesn't get the publicity it deserves.

Best wishes to all former colleagues there! 

Hello Ruth, delighted to receive your message of support. Glad to hear from you and have passed on your best wishes.

Thanks Clem! Hope everyone well there. Been a while since I met up with you all in the local cafe! One of these days we might all catch up over a lunchtime fry up! 

Hi Laura, you've hit upon a sad and difficult problem. Many isolated people are out there for sure but identifying them, getting in touch with them, this is the problem- that is why they are isolated- they've fallen off the radar so to speak.

It's often the case that people have to be referred by someone such as medical professionals, GPs, social workers, or family, friends etc. And those who are really isolated won't have such people to act as the go-between. Asking local groups is a good start- I'd include faith groups, clubs, etc., even pubs, as there may be people who know of others who can't get out much anymore and are stuck alone at home. Or people may be aware of some older people whose partners have recently passed away and are concerned about how they are doing etc. Good luck and I'm sure you'll find yourself in a rewarding relationship with an older person soon. 

Hi Laura, I echo what Ruth has said in her reply, she gave good advice.

I might also add that we recently interviewed in excess of 500 over 50's as part of a recent community development pilot which we, along with local community organisation Living Under One Sun, were commissioned by Haringey Council to carry out.

The Neighbourhoods Connect project found willingness among residents to talk openly and honestly about their concerns as well as embrace possible ways of re-connecting with their communities.

It became clear during these conversations that many residents were unaware of their options when it came to free transport, such as dial-a-ride and the eligibility criteria.

As we found out the service is not loved by all (see article in the spring 2014 newsletter on our website), however it is a free service which provides adults with mobility issues a service that will pick them up from outside their front door and drop them safely off at their destination.

This enables people with a permanent or long-term disability which prevents them using scheduled public transport services the ability to get out, thus helping to combat loneliness and social isolation.

For more details on getting around visit the Haringey Council website.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service