Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As usual nothing to google. Plans are to propose parking on one side only, and get rid of the pedestrian islands, creating an environment for greater traffic flow. I would demand speed control cameras, not many vehicles passing through obey the 20MPH speed restriction.

Stoke Newington have installed one on Green Lanes north of Manor House.

What about our children crossing to get trains from Hornsey & Harringay Stations, or those getting to South Harringay, North Harringay, Hornsey School for girls, Heartlands, or Highgate Wood.

I believe there is a  meeting tonight at:

Cyprus Kitchen
Turkish Cypriot Community Association,628-630 Green Lanes

@ 7PM, (please correct me if this is wrong.)

(Title slightly edited by Site Admin to allow this thread to serve as the general thread for the Wightman Parking consultation)

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, ladder parking changes, traffic, wightman road improvements

Views: 2602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"What about our children crossing to get trains from Hornsey & Harringay Stations"

Both stations have light-controlled crossings right by their respective approach roads. Surely these aren't being taken away too.

The large gap between the Harringay station crossing and the one by Fairfax Road is a problem, though - an extra light-controlled crossing by Warham Road would be good.

They're not being taken away but if the pavement is actually clear on the other side of the road then there is walking access between both stations that does not involve crossing a road.

Traffic volumes are expected to be unaffected by these changes.

I think one or two speed cameras would help. Can the council install these?

The short answer for Wightman is No. Here is the criteria used by Haringey: 

"The criteria for installing speed cameras are set by the London Safety Camera Partnership. The criteria
states that cameras may be used at locations where there are at least four collisions which resulted in a fatality or serious injury over a three year period.
There are currently 4 speed cameras in Haringey located in Bounds Green Road and Tottenham High
Road. We will be discussing their further use with the police should this proposal progress."

Taken from this consultation document:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/sites/haringeygovuk/files/20mph_consulta...

When we were working to get the 20mph for Wightman Road we pushed really hard for cameras for enforcement but Haringey Council said it could not consider them.

Speeding is OK, blocking the yellow box junction, not so much.

What are the criteria for installing "informal crossings"?

Presumably at least a risk assessment would be needed www.suttonguardian.co.uk.

Useful link. It's exactly what I was saying last night (and above). I suspect that most drivers just won't pay much attention to these informal crossings.

I do hope we don't have to learn the hard way in Harringay.

Can anyone on HoL document their experience of using the red peril strip informal crossings at the Alroy/Endymion Rd mini-roundabout, there for the last two years or so?

They don’t work. Nobody stops. They’re worse than nothing.

Ah thanks for reminding me, curious that I'd forgotten about these even though I often go past them a couple of times a week.

Or maybe not that curious - cars ignore them, so why would pedestrians think it was an attractive place to cross?

I have used it everyday night walking home with my son as the park is too dark .  it is by far the most dangerous crossing I have ever used. 

I believe there is a current consultation on proposed improvements to Endymion Rd - including a couple of raised tables and raising the island junction itself to calm traffic. The consultation closes tomorrow (24th Jan). Not sure who's been invited to respond  - maybe just the Endymion residents?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service