Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As usual nothing to google. Plans are to propose parking on one side only, and get rid of the pedestrian islands, creating an environment for greater traffic flow. I would demand speed control cameras, not many vehicles passing through obey the 20MPH speed restriction.

Stoke Newington have installed one on Green Lanes north of Manor House.

What about our children crossing to get trains from Hornsey & Harringay Stations, or those getting to South Harringay, North Harringay, Hornsey School for girls, Heartlands, or Highgate Wood.

I believe there is a  meeting tonight at:

Cyprus Kitchen
Turkish Cypriot Community Association,628-630 Green Lanes

@ 7PM, (please correct me if this is wrong.)

(Title slightly edited by Site Admin to allow this thread to serve as the general thread for the Wightman Parking consultation)

Tags for Forum Posts: harringay traffic study, ladder parking changes, traffic, wightman road improvements

Views: 2602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's nothing showing on the council's Consultations Finder database, though the search tool may be flaky.

this is down to a few of us, particularly   one resident, and who has worked tirelessly to get the council to sort out both the alroy and Endymion crossings. it' aa start but the council are still, and God knows why, and reluctant to have a pelican crossing. 

Are we sure that these red strips are meant to be crossings, informal or not ?

I'm happy to give way to a pedestrian at any time and wherever but I wasn't aware that these were crossings and I've not seen any publicity about them. In fact, I have to confess I have never even noticed them. What is the legal position ? If a pedestrian is knocked down on one of these do they sue the driver or sue the Council for not making the position clear ? Are they sufficiently illuminated at night ?

Are these not just anti-skid patches such  as we used to have at the Wightman Rd / Hampden Road junction until they were covered up at the next resurfacing ?

They're made using anti-skid material John, but they're not of sufficient length on the road (or far enough away from the crossing) to work as such.

Legal position? Open. As Hugh says above, the Highway Code makes no demands on motorists of them, for one thing.

Thanks Gordon. I went out of my way this morning to have a look and the red strips are all but invisible. I wouldn't have seen them if I hadn't been looking for them. They certainly don't say " Beware - Pedestrian Crossing " I would be concentrating on vehicles coming from my right.

Wightman is a relief road for the entire borough. There is nothing in this plan to reduce traffic. Nothing. The pedestrian stuff is smoke and mirrors, a waste of money and dangerous.

Is the anti-skid paint to stop cars skidding, or to stop people slipping when trying to cross the road in less than 2.6 seconds?

Yes John, as Haringey Council made very clear on Monday night, they are very expressly intended as informal crossings. I said exactly the same as you at the meeting, that very few motorists know that they exist and even if they do, they would be reluctant to stop for them on a road like Wightman Road. 

They are currently "informal crossings", and there is a consultation about raising the junction and raising the crossings to the same level as the junction:

I've attached the plan, I believe the consultation closes today, I don't have any more details but previous consultations ask respondents to reply to frontline.consultation@haringey.gov.uk 

Endymion%20Road%20Safety%20Improvements.pdf

Thanks for that alert and the pdf, and I've responded about the Endymion Rd zebra crossing which is to be raised - I've suggested adding LED rings to the Belisha beacon heads for better visibility particularly in the daytime, since they're spending a fair amount of money on this work. Oh, and it's a    proper   crossing.....

Apparently a great deal of it is on fees and it's not just for Wightman Rd.

If I remember it right, they said on Monday night that fees amounted to £300K out of £1M.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service