Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Applications for four 15k-person events in Finsbury Park for TEN YEARS

The Haringey Council website states on its events page "We are not considering any other major event applications for this year" [meaning after Wireless].

However these two notices have appeared on the New River Bridge within the Endymion Road entrance to Finsbury Park.

The first concerns an event called 'Hospitality in the Park' planned for late September in, err, 2016 for 9999 people.

Of even more concern, the second talks about permission to Radioactive Clothing trading as Slammin' Events (who organise dance music festivals such as Garage Nation) for four 15k-person events annually in Finsbury Park until 2026...

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park, finsbury park events

Views: 1362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd have the the Friends of Finsbury Park might have a handle on it.

Well yes I'm sure they do but I'd have thought people in general might be concerned at such a long timescale for future permissions - we all know there is increasing pressure on the park as an amenity and that will only increase when the St Ann's site is 'developed', so it seems ever more wrong to close off a large part of the park for loud concerts and making it basically unusable during several summer weekends.

From available figures from FoFP it seems the council makes very little money from these events and it's disappointing they don't instead focus on smaller  community-based events.

I'd urge people to write in to at least say ten years is far too long a time period for which the council should be contemplating giving permission - it should be a year at a time.

And I'd have thought the fact that the other concert applied for this September directly contradicts the statement that they would not be considering any more concerts for this year similarly needs to be questioned.

Hugh, thanks. The Friends of Finsbury Park are grateful to Robin2 and to you for the alert. Our Chairman submitted the following at 22:59 last night to the Licensing Authority (Haringey):

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: APPLICATION FOR A PREMISES LICENSE BY RADIOACTIVE CLOTHING LTD TRADING AS HOSPITALITY IN THE PARK AND TRANZ-MISSION FESTIVALS
On behalf of the Friends of Finsbury Park FOFP),  I am formally opposing the granting of a licence to Radioactive Clothing, trading as Hospitality In the Park and Tranz-Mission Festivals, for the provision of regulated entertainment and sale by retail of alcohol in Finsbury Park on Saturday 24th September 2016  (Hospitality In the Park) and on Sunday 25th September 2016 (Tranz-Mission).
The FOFP’s opposition to the granting of this licence is based on the following grounds:
THE PREVENTION OF CRIME AND DISORDER
We have received reports from many local residents and park users that they have observed markedly increased levels of drug dealing and anti-social behaviour both within Finsbury Park and in surrounding streets during these events. Communities who feel particular vulnerable have indicated that they and their families do not feel safe walking the streets of their own neighbourhood during these large events.
PUBLIC SAFETY
Speeding heavy lorries and large numbers of vehicles and equipment involved in the set-up and take-down phases for these events transform a normally quiet park carriageway into a busy and dangerous road. Park user cross at their peril and stewards see their role as facilitating the flow of construction vehicles rather than in ensuring the safety of park users. Damage sustained to the fabric of the park and hazardous materials left on site also compromise public health and safety. Congested pavements and stations introduce an increased risk of  accidents and many members of the local community report to us that they  feel intimidated and unsafe on their own streets during large scale events. 
THE PREVENTION OF PUBLIC NUISANCE
The loud noise generated by these events causes major nuisance to local residents across a wide area. The occupation of a large part of Finsbury Park over a number of days also deprives park users of a much valued amenity for the sustained period required for set-up and take-down. The deprivation of amenity represented by this loss of access to the most accessible and most used part of Finsbury Park constitutes a  nuisance to the public.
THE PROTECTION OF CHILDREN FROM HARM
The sleep of children is seriously disrupted by the loud noise emanating from these events until well past younger children’s bed times. This loss of sleep over the weekend  inevitably impacts on the ability of children to return to school well rested on a Monday and will therefore  have a negative effect  on their learning capacity. Children using the park are confronted with high barriers excluding them from the most popular parts of the Park and after events may encounter hazardous materials left on site after the departure of the event organisers.
We also request, hereby, the opportunity to make oral representations to the licensing committee considering this application. At this hearing we will seek to expand on the objections outlined above.
I would be grateful if you would acknowledge receipt of this note and also indicate whether our request to be heard by the Licencing Committee has been acceded to.
Yours sincerely,
Tom Palin

Chair
The Friends of Finsbury Park

well in terms of the ten-year application, it's 15k i.e. 30% of Wireless but still large enough to be pretty disruptive, not just the volume of people but closing off a large part of the park and  noise, considering the type of loud beat-driven music involved (which I know makes me sound like a grandpa but whilst I have Metallica on my mp3 player I'm not sure I'd want them to play F Park)

Don't hold your breath looking for those Jo. FOFP appear to be refusing any questions on the subject of their April meeting. ..I've asked everyone I can think of at least twice....
Some of us are very interested in cats, doesn't mean we are less interested in this.

These are quite small scale compared to Wireless. 

Was just thinking that myself. This is an application for holding a 2-day event once a year for ten years with the first event this year.
Wireless takes over the park for almost 2 weeks each year - and doesn't have a very good standing record for security, safety or crowd control!

I am in no way against events in Finsbury Park - I spent many years going to Big Gay Out, as well as attending the Oasis concerts there, and I went to see the Stone Roses a couple of years ago on their reunion tour. What I am against is large-scale, long-running events that make me feel afraid and intimidated to go about my usual business in my local area. Definitely a big difference!

"This is an application for holding a 2-day event once a year for ten years with the first event this year."

Sharon - read the second notice again - it say 'up to four times a year'

"What I am against is large-scale, long-running events that make me feel afraid and intimidated to go about my usual business in my local area."

However prejudiced and fuddy-duddy it sounds to say it, when you look at the type of music the applicants put on, we all know it's the type that attracts the crowds that you say you fear - that is the point - this isn't a country dancing festival we're talking about

"the type of music the applicants put on, we all know it's the type that attracts the crowds you say you fear". What does that mean?
Maybe people can be excited about what these events might be!

Could we have a Highland Games with pipe band championship ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service