Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

There seems to be a healthy number of bats along the New River, on the Wightman Road section between Hornsey and Haringey stations. Does anyone know anything about which species live there, or what I can do to support them?

Tags for Forum Posts: bats, new river, new river wildlife, wildlife

Views: 1159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd love to go on a local Bat Walk. Does anyone know who runs them? I don't want to buy a ticket to the festival just to go on the bat walk in the evening - as lovely as it sounds. 

Unfortunately, I assume due to the weather, the London Wildlife Festival has been cancelled.

Have been recording bats this year. Along the New River there are Common Pipistrelle, Soprano Pipistrelle, Daubenton's and Noctule and Lesser Noctule. I've found Grey and Brown Long Eared Bats and Nathusius Pipistrelle in the garden, which is about a minute's walk away. Along the River, Daubenton's probably most likely, as it usually hunts over water.

Sounds amazing! So many! . How have you been recording them? 

Wow. How do you spot them to identify them, David? 

I see a sudden flutter whiz by, glimpse a bat, and it’s gone. I’d love to know how I could safely observe one for longer than a fleeting glimpse

Echometer plus app identifies them. Daubenton's is usually easy to spot, because it has a light coloured belly and flies low over water. Noctule is quite big and flies rather high, and just after dusk. But technology helps! I've got into a bad habit of setting up the microphone by my bedroom window and leaving it for a few hours while I have dinner, etc. But there are quite a few species about, certainly.

That’s really impressive and it’s good to know there’s so many species around. 

I wonder whether anyone has considered speaking to Thames Water and whichever railway company operates in the yard to find out if permission could be gained to actively manage the area of land between the river and the yard for the benefit and promotion of wildlife? Maybe this is the type of active management The London Wildlife Trust manage.

Dave, you need to organise a walk! 

Here here. I agree. A walk would be great if possible.

Tuesday or Wednesday next week, weather permitting? Meet at the Wightman Road entrance to the NR, then a foray into Alexandra Park, followed by a pint at the Victoria Stakes ...

Sounds good, I could do probably do Tuesday & definitely do Wednesday!

Weds works perfectly.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service