Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As I am sure many of you know, Wood Green is one of the worst places in the country to take a driving test, with a terribly low pass rate.

What I don't know, is where nearby isn't quite as hellish. Does anyone have any suggestions? Barnet? Hendon? 

Any help much appreciated 

Tags for Forum Posts: driving instructor

Views: 4103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My son took his in Barnet and my daughter did hers in Hendon last year.  Both are a good alternative to Wood Green!!   I think Barnet is slightly nearer.  See which has the best test dates and times to suit you.  

I failed my first test in Wood Green. I still have memories of being outrageously cut up by a boy racer on the north circular at a junction, panicking and realising immediately that I'd flunked it.

The second time I ended up somewhere slightly further out, Barnet I think. That time I passed (but I'd like to think more from increased skill than geography!). 

Edmonton 1972 in an Austin 1100 - the examiner was typical of the time, a softer Terry Thomas type, tweed jacket, flat cap, bushy moustache and coudroy trousers. Perhaps also a Magistrate?

Pull over there and we'll try a three point turn! And now a hill start! Congratulations, you've passed.  One shy young person, very happy and 44 years later, I'm still at it.

Sorry to repeat what's already been said but in case you require further statistical proof, I failed twice in Wood Green, so I would avoid at all cost.

All the statistics you want here - http://www.driving-test-success.com/dsa_driving_test_centre_pass_ra....

Wood Green pass rate is - men 43.9%       women 34.7%

Enfield is worse -               men 38.0%       women 33.5%

Hendon is better -             men 47.1%       women 41.4%

The place to take your test is

Lerwick                               men 70.1 %      women 72.7%

Lerwick is worth a visit even if you already have a driving license.

Of course, that is why the results from Scotland are better than England

I'm doomed.

Come, come, Coco!  You can do it!  Half of it's about confidence.  I think Hendon is good.  I did my test there (more years ago than I care to remember).  Nice wide roads with good visibility.  But a nightmare if you don't like mini roundabouts!

As a bit of balance, my husband passed first time(*) at Wood Green this year. If you are looking for an instructor I'm sure he will recommend his.

* we don't count the test he failed 30 years ago!

If you are over 45 and a woman, very difficult statistically.  If so, take it on an automatic car and then retake on a manual car. I took mine 9 times, some of which in Wood Green, and have never had an accident.  now 67. In fact I love the motorways.  And have witnessed some appalling driving.  I  had passed my test, almost, in Wood Green, then failed because I stopped behind a a stationary  bus near the test centre and was failed for undue hesitation due to not passing the bus.  \my driving instructor told me this was normal for older drivers.  If a younger driver failed, the parents cut up rough. So easier to fail the older driver. especially a woman.   I have never regretted learning to drive, so it is never too late! Thank you to my driving instructor.

I preferred the area around Enfield to that of Barnet, but ultimately ended up taking my test in Chingford due to a lack of test dates in either Enfield or Barnet.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service