Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi Everyone,

I've noticed that local garden centres are restocking box plants & if you are tempted to replace any box plants you've lost please read the following information:

Sadly, this relatively new pest to the UK, is now rife in Harringay.

If your box plants have webbing amongst the leaves have a closer look & you may find it.

I see it very frequently in the area & it does eventually defoliate & destroy box plants unless treated:

This video shows how.

The options I would recommend are:

1. Spraying with a biological control:

https://topbuxus.com/en/boxwood-caterpillar/25-topbuxus-xentari-sto...

This would need regular commitment to be effective during the times when the moth is active & would therefore involve some longterm costs. 

The commitment would involve regularly inspecting the hedge for signs of eggs & the caterpillars. The cost would be the price of the nematodes & spraying.

2.Removal of the hedge & replacement with an alternative hedge which is not eaten by these caterpillars 

Further information available on RHS website.

Views: 1457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes - that looks like box tree moth - I’ve trapped 100’s in pheromone traps.

As Hugh said there’s a real plague of them at the moment! 

I got the link in my comment above wrong. Now ammended, it should have gone to https://www.harringayonline.com/forum/topics/box-tree-moth-kill-or-.... This was a post I made about these moths back in the early summer. Any post on HoL can be missed. Probably should have put it in the gardening group once I found out the danger they pose. 

Yep I lost my plant in July while on holiday

So sorry Charlotte - Alexandra Palace nursery has started to stock Ilex crenata topariry balls & plants - which look quite similar & aren't paletable to these caterpillars. They are pricey though! 

I also like Pittosporum tenuifolium "Tom Thumb" & "Golf Ball" which are also evergreen, can be clipped & are half the price

Attachments:

Very useful to know re alternatives. Thank you!

Thanks for this - I’m in the process of digging out two large plants that are both really struggling - I think maybe with a mix of both what you’re describing and box blight. They have large sections that look just like the photo up thread, but also patches that have completely died. A bit sad but looking on the bright side (they did take up a lot of space!).

Yes - soo sad when we dig out old friends in the garden but as you say, always nice to have a new planting opportunity! 

Mine is gradually being devoured. And I raised her from a tiny cutting (sobs bitterly)

Awwww - I do feel for you  - I was in the same position with my box plant! 

She hasn’t  gone past the point of no return yet ...

You could save her with the biological control - 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=506

I used XenTari - 2 sprayings one week apart.

The caterpillars stop eating within 2 hours of consuming leaves that have been sprayed.

Many thanks Sally

For those of us who've left it too late, I assume that a severe prune won't work?

You could certainly give it a try - it depends whether the caterpillars have eaten through the bark & caused severe damage to the cambium (growth) layer of the plant

Box can regenerate from old wood if the cambium layer is relatively intact.

If signs of new leaves do appear you would then need to commit to regular checking of your plants between March to late October when the moths are active - the eggs are tiny & difficult to spot unfortunately which is why pheromone traps are advised to give warning the males are in the area & are active.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service