Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I just got my land-line bill and noted that I was charged 14p for calling 101 to report a crime on the 26/07/19. I was extremely surprised and wonder if the NHS Direct on 111 is also a chargeable number. Surely, despite the charge being low, it may discourage some people from using it. This would result in every one calling 999 for non-emergencies. What does everyone think or am I the only one, not aware of it /or being petty?

I thought a part of the Council tax covered policing?  Please just helpful replies, I am only asking a question.

Views: 262

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This from police.uk

Calls to 101 (from both landlines and mobile networks) cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call, or how long you are on the phone.

The 15p cost of the call goes to the telephony providers to cover the cost of carrying the calls. The police receive no money from calls to 101.

This .gov.uk page lists charges for Uk numbers and also includes the 101 charge.

This article suggests that the call might be scrapped next year.

Thank you Hugh, I guess I was lucky and was charged 1p less. I didn't know this, so I have learnt something new.

Neither did I! I was rather surprised at the answer. I imagine that most people think calls to 101 are free. Given that they're trying to encourage people to use 101 instead of 999, it does seem rather odd.

This was exactly what I thought as well. Thank you for taking the time to look it up for me, it never crossed my mind to google it. A Senior moment, I am afraid, lol.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service