Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Considering moving to Harringay Ladder - Cold feet!!

Hi there - as above, I'm close to having an offer accepted on a house on the Harringay Ladder (towards the North, Green Lanes end), but getting cold feet! I've never lived in the area so only know it from having wandered around looking at houses. It all looked ok to me, but I'm reading a lot of criticism online so starting to have second thoughts. Main issues seems to be about crime, bad schools, rat infestations, lack of 'things to do', overpriced housing...

I thought I'd made my mind up, but now a bit concerned. I'd really appreciate some views from people who already live there...it can't be that bad surely?!

Tags for Forum Posts: what's harringay like?

Views: 18433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where do you live presently Alex?

Hammersmith

Its lovely around here Alex, and once green lanes gets spruced up you will find it even better,  Personally I prefer the south and mid section of the ladder from Endymion up to Seymour it is more lively, has a zone 2 station  (manor house) as well as the 2 overland stations and is closer to the park (finsbury) but the north section is better for shopping. There are many more great things about the the north of the ladder roads (or rungs) but I will leave that for the northerners to tell you about.  

I have lived here for a decade and it is getting better and better each year and the schools and children's centres are great by the way. Where did you get the info that they were poor?  We also have a thriving artist warehouse section down Hermitage and Eade way, and the Finsbury pub is god damn brilliant.

And then of course there is the theatre being built behind Finsbury Park station.

And when they are not shagging the foxes eat all the rats.

As you know crime occurs in most parts of london but i do not think Harringay is any worse than most london boroughs.

Good luck with whatever choice you make and feel free to get in touch if you want a tour of the area.

Ben

Hi Ben - thanks very much for your response. Interesting that you say the South is better than the North - do you have a sense of what sort of price differential there is, for a 3 bed house? From what I can tell there's not much of a price difference, but that's only based on rightmove and the places I've viewed, so it's difficult to know you're comparing like-with-like.

Hi Alex, that is just my personal opinon. I do not want to start a north south divide. House prices are pretty simillar if not the same  on all the ladder rungs. but there's an estate agent and a very decent man too boot called setve hatch on the is site who can offer you advice on prices.

The best advice I can give you is look at how many doorbells the houses a few doors around yours has. If the average house has more than two then back off. 

By the way I believe both north and south harringay schools are oversubscribed.

Thanks for your reply. I must say that getting 3 replies within half an hour is an encouraging sign in itself!

When you say "terrific community spirit", what sort of thing do you mean? One of things I'm concerned about is moving to an area where I don't know that many people...

Thanks for all those pointers - I will follow up with the research you suggest and report back!

Hi there,

Well, I moved back here from the supposed 'posher' parts of Hertfordshire and love it. Will write more later.

I'm on tenterhooks!

You haven't been reading Mumsnet, have you?

I live north of the Ladder, in Wood Green, which is probably the seventh circle of hell according to online critics.  But I really like it.

Things to do on the Ladder itself - take the kids out for a Turkish at one of the many popular family restaurants, around 5pm on a Saturday or Sunday you will find all the local Turks, Cypriots and quite a few others doing the same.

Finsbury Park is nice

Railway Fields is a hidden gem

There is yoga in St Pauls Church on Cavendish Road and at other venues

Nearest swimming might be at Park Road Pool in Crouch End??  

I heard North Harringay School was very good. 

And that's just the Ladder - don't get me started on the advantages of Alexandra Palace and Wood Green

Thanks for the useful reply. I will digest and report back!

Just as well you removed yourself to the pastoral idyll of the Ladder then

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service