Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I noticed signage and barriers have been put up in Ducketts Common - the common is to benefit from improvements which will give it a 'cared for' appearance; the fence has been removed from near the bus shelter/tube station entrance and is to be replaced, the perimeter fence is going to be painted and a toilet installed. What also surprised me from the limited information on the sign is that an indoor area is going to be created for the coffee shop. I tried to find whether there was a consultation or details on the works previously published but couldn't find anything. I can think of many more things the common could benefit from with this funding than increasing capacity for a private enterprise. I googled but could not find whether S106 funding can be spent on a profit making business, does anyone know?

Clr Zena Brabazon has said in previous posts she would post details on HoL but I could not find anything - perhaps she could post here (I have sent an email).

If only the council looked to Shepherds Bush Green and remove the railings and the unkempt hedges - far more open and inviting, even though it is surrounded by busy roads.

Tags for Forum Posts: ducketts common

Views: 1245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting. I have been chasing these improvement for months so will post when I get a firm update on the works being undertaken. I will also ask about the S106 position. My understanding was that a toilet was being installed which would be good for everyone!

Zena

Zena Brabazon
Cllr Harringay Ward

Well the main beneficiaries of a toilet will be the householders of Harringay so I guess that's everyone. The main users of the toilet will however be everyone else. Where do you think those uber drivers and people who seem to live in their cars during the day around the common go to the toilet?

The trouble John, is that so many of our fellow toilet users don't even know how to flush. And, for some reason, they drop toilet paper into the urinal gully so that the drain blocks and the gully overflows. The toilet at Chestnuts Park is closed for repairs more often than not. 

Prediction, toilet shut within 6 months of opening due to maintenance works / and or abuse / damage/  illegal usage.  

Veolia are responsible for toilet cleaning / maintenance and they do the absolute minimum. They open in the morning ( sometimes ) and close up in the evening ( often 45 minutes before the official closing time ).

Because of an operation I use public toilets probably more than most and I can report:

Summerfield ( behind Muswell Hill M&S)

No hand-washing water for years now. 

Soap dispenser empty for years

Hand dryer inoperative

W/C blocked yesterday with masses of toilet paper

Hornsey Library

Chestnuts Park

No hand-washing water for months now

Hand dryer inoperative

Disgusting smell and build-up of urea

Frequent overflow from blocked drain

May I add Turnpike Lane bus station toilet.  It seems to be open on a whim when the wind is blowing from the west and there’s an R in the month.

Hi Zena,

Please do chase this to find out more about the works being undertaken. There's limited information on the job site and nothing online.

Will these improvement works incorporate sustainable drainage principles, nice planting to improve the look & feel of the site and to increase biodiversity, and extra seating for passengers waiting at the busy bus stop..?

Thanks,

Hugh

I really hope that if the railings are being repainted that it's all of them around the entire perimeter & that all the improvement works don't just focus in one area. 

"If only the council looked to Shepherds Bush Green and remove the railings and the unkempt hedges"

Also look at Islington and Newington Greens as great examples of well kept and landscaped greens WITH the railings intact. They can and do serve a purpose.

Newington Green is amazing ... but hey, another neighbouring borough, ... where they're open to good ideas
Thanks for this. Like many I agree that DC could be improved, but it's already much nicer than it was 5 or 6 years ago, and feels less sketchy after dark. The play equipment and lights in the trees are great. If money spent on the cafe can be recouped via the lease then no bad thing.

Agreed, everything but the toilet.   Upkeep of the toilet will eventually drain away resources on the rest of  the common, as I'm sure it will be constantly broken.  In other words, don't put in a toilet.  Of course tis is not ideal, but I'd rather have a nice Ducketts Common.   Are the toilets next to the play area in Finsbury Park still out of operation?  They weren't for many years when we lived there

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service