Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Extreme eczema - allergy/sensitivities testing recommendations?

Daughter (adult) suffers from extreme eczema that GP is unable to treat so finally (few months) got a referral to a dermatologist but the appointment is for September (!!!) and tried to tret with steroids all the time (awful)

Can anyone recommend somewhere we could do allergies/sensitivities/intolerance tested privately and can give me some idea about the potential cost?

I am not looking for Googe search results as I can find those myself.

I am looking for personal recommendation as we are both at our wits ends - it is very severe.

Thanks a lot

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My friends baby has v bad except and she has said -
Dr Helen Cox Harley St charged them £200 consultation abd £180 allergy tests. They went private due to long waits with nhs. However she thinks Dr Cox only does children. But the receptionist also gave very good advise to them so worth a try. Http://www.children's allergy clinic.com/contact. They may be able to recommend someone. Good luck
Thanks a lot - daughter is an adult and really looking for a personal recommendation from someone who suffered themselves, as an adult and cane across a good place to get it sorted as it is an absolute nightmare to live with. Thanks

Hi Anka,

My brother suffered with eczema from primary school until his early 30s when it suddenly cleared up practically from one day to the next with no explanation.  It is a notoriously difficult condition to treat and steroid creams and oral steroids are the standard and most effective treatment options.  There is no "cure" as such, it's about managing the condition.  There are clearly links between food intolerances and whether this aggravates the condition but in my view there are a lot of charlatans out there peddling half truths about this aspect and whilst you might feel September is a long way off, I think you're safest in the hands of NHS clinicians who won't try and peddle you "products" or "programmes" that are unnecessary or worse, which will aggravate the condition.  My brother did do private tests for intolerances through the post, but that was 20 years ago and he couldn't recall any of the details.  Would be long out of date now anyway.  They told him that he might be gluten intolerant but he completely cut out gluten from his diet and it made no difference whatsoever.  Pets allergies can be an issue too.  I know you have dogs, but your grown up daughter may live elsewhere.  But it's worth keeping a food diary, and record contact with animals too, to see if you can spot patterns.  That's possibly something a dermatologist will ask you to do, so if you have that already in hand when you go for the first appointment that might speed things along.  It certainly can't hurt.

In the meantime, bathing in emollient baths is an obvious solution that people often ignore, with a good layering of E45 cream 20 minutes later.  Cotton clothing is a must.  Man-made fibres are terrible for eczema which is aggravated by heat and dampness.  My brother says he used to make sure his nails were as short as possible so that he didn't cause himself undue damage with the scratching.  Stress is also a factor, so bear that in mind too.

Thanks Antoinette. Perhaps I should have mentioned in my post that I am looking for a personal recomendation of private dermatologist to do the testing - waiting on NHS is not on option as in my case the eczema is very severe and absolutely all iver her. That makes life and work very difficult - she had to cur her hours at work as despite wearing lobg sleevws and tights (in this heat) - her face hands neck still are visible and awful and in a customer dacing role this is not the look that is expected especially as she works with food.

I spoke with my sister-in-law who is a consultant in anaesthetics and she recommends the private Dermatology Clinic at the Royal Free Hospital where she also does private work.  Apparently, Professor Rustin is an eczema specialist.  It's not a personal recommendation as such, but medics do tend to know who is good and who is not. 

Thank you. I can not find information about private appointments on Royal Free deematology website though? Just looking at it now and they only mention NHS referrals. In fact thhis is where my daughter was referred to but appoibtment in September is way too far - sighhh

Had positive experience with this dermatologist (saw her first as NHS patient and then as private patient): 


Private clinic is in Golders Green. 

Thanks a lot
We don't have a dermatologist recommendation recommendation I'm afraid, but just to say it is worth ruling out gluten intolerance. My daughter had a terrible time with eczema too. She'd always had it but started to get so much worse and had really awful symptoms. Although tests didn't show gluten allergy it really looked like dermatitis herpetiformis to me, and taking gluten out of her diet did work, though took months to properly clear up. In the meantime a course of oral steroids helped make life a little more bearable, and we also found a very strong steroid ointment to clear up as much as possible for few days, and then keeping down inflammation with a protopic ointment really worked. Now we rarely think about it unless she accidentally eats gluten and then her skin flares up again, and we do same - steroid ointments for few days, then protopic twice a week and moisturising in between. I do empathise with you both. It was a very difficult time for us. Good luck.
My daughter had eczema from head to toe as a baby when she came off breast milk. The doctor prescribed emollient baths, topical creams etc. We decided to go for an inside out approach (considering why the skin is reacting) rather than an outside in approach (putting stuff on the skin). This also worked for my partner who had some serious skin issues in his 40s.
I would recommend cutting out all dairy products for a start and going to a good nutritionist. This is not hippy claptrap at all, the skin is the largest living organ and the body reacts to poisons, allergy and imbalance through the organs. A nutritionist will know what can set off a reaction. My partner went from extreme agony and discomfort to complete recovery over a period of months through careful nutrition. Cutting out all sugars including most fruit helped vastly for example. Then slowly reintroducing in a controlled way has been a marvel to find the right balance and what to avoid.

Some good GPs and specialists also know this - for example all endocrinologists will tell you that cabbage acts as a suppressant to thyroid production and that evening primrose oil is excellent to help the body with tissue-related pain. Both of which have been recommended to me by medical professionals in two different countries.
Get to a dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis too. It could be lichen planus, urticaria or another skin issue which no amount of creams will help. And be wary and open to thinking more broadly than your average doctor - my mum was prescribed hydrocortisone treatments for years for terrible skin rashes on her upper body. It was only after she had a stroke and was permanently hospitalised that we discovered her whole home was infested with bed bugs that were eating her alive...I had suggested this about 5 years in to her suffering but she would have none of it!



© 2020   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service