Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The house opposite me is currently being converted into flats. They seem to be doing a good job and as of this morning I have a nicely painted front door to look at. They've disgraced themselves this afternoon though.

Yes, reported via the Haringey website (they can see the videos on their iphones, I've done this before) and the flash new Lewisham app that Hugh told us about last week.

Tags for Forum Posts: builders, passage, rubbish

Views: 368

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After exchanging emails with John McMullan, I reported this as a councillor's Enquiry - giving the links to John's video. Seeing Bushy's comment two hours ago about the waste bin ("It's still there") I phoned Brian Ellick who is the Street Enforcement Team Leader.

Mr Ellick told me that last week they spoke to two separate builders about alleged dumping. He didn't know if it was the same incident.

Absurdly, he is one of the staff blocked from using YouTube by the council's webstasi software. But - as John pointed out - he can still watch the video on his mobile, which he'll do. I also suggested he contact John.

Can I ask people who hire builders to get them to pass the word around to their less socially responsible colleagues in the trade: that many people now have cameras! Householders as well as builders could end up with a fine.

The waste bin has gone but it's been replaced by another enormous pile of waste/rubble/materials etc. It's not clear if that's just stuff that's been tipped out of the bin or if it's a new dump.

A couple of good clear photos would be helpful.

If, for no other reason, as a gentle hint for other builders, developers, managing agents etc that dumping could damage their wallets.

The council have succeeded fantastically in dealing with this (although I think a compliant builder helped). I got an email yesterday from Brian Ellick in Haringey's enforcement department.

Dear Mr. McMullan,

I can confirm that Geraldo tracked down the builder working at number 35 Lausanne Road. The builder was interviewed regarding the dumped rubbish and he admitted paying an individual to remove the surplus building waste from the property he was refurbishing.

The builder was unable to provide any documentation to prove how he disposed of the waste, which by law he is required to do. He was informed that his waste had been fly tipped in the passage and as such he is responsible under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (Duty of Care Regulations) which is punishable by prosecution.

However the builder showed regret and remorse for his actions stating amongst other things he transferred the waste in good faith. I reviewed the circumstances and took into account all the matters, on this occasion I felt it was appropriate to issue him with a formal caution.

The builder accepted the formal caution (which will be held on record for five years) and made a contribution of £300 towards our costs

Regards

Brian Ellick
Team Leader
Street Enforcement
London Borough of Haringey

Job done. Nice one John.
He only showed "regret and remorse" because he got found out. Can we get the company this guy works for put on here so that we're sure no-one around here hires this scumbag again?
Honestly Anette, they were the best set of builders I've seen around here; covered their skip, always reasonably tidy, polite to the missus etc. I'm sure a different set of builders might have told the council to bugger off.

Don't care.. name please!

Yep - name 'em and shame 'em John. If they are genuinely sorry, and determined not to allow it to happen again, then there is no harm in posting the details on here. It might even get them more business
May I suggest that those of you who so eagerly want a public lynching so do yourselves and not ask someone else to commit to your dirty work for you. Just pop down to JMcM's street and speak to the builders. it's  that easy. I'm sure if you pm'd JMcM he will give you the correct address.
Remember, it wasn't the builders who did the flytipping but the people that he paid to take the rubbish away.

Sometimes, as well, it makes sense to trust the judgment of the professionals who dealt directly with the case.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service