Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The house opposite me is currently being converted into flats. They seem to be doing a good job and as of this morning I have a nicely painted front door to look at. They've disgraced themselves this afternoon though.

Yes, reported via the Haringey website (they can see the videos on their iphones, I've done this before) and the flash new Lewisham app that Hugh told us about last week.

Tags for Forum Posts: builders, passage, rubbish

Views: 369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd love to, but I work full time, and have a few other things to do during the day.

the point here is that the builder most likely KNEW his rubbish was going to be fly tipped somewhere, he just didn't realise the scoundrel he paid to get rid of it cheaply would be stupid and lazy enough to land him in it by dumping it round the corner.

This is so bloody typical. Everyone are up in arms about the fly tipping. As soon as we know who's responsible and they plead innocence (and clearly tried it on and got caught!) everyone are fine with it. Don't you people understand that if we are to put a stop to people taking liberties in our neighbourhood we need to make examples of a few people so word gets around? A few "public lynchings" as you put it would hopefully achieve that.

Everyone gets up in arms about stuff here, but no one's actually willing to do anything. Which is why we keep on complaining about the same old issues, month after month.

I would certainly call a fine of £300 pounds "an example". In fact I just managed to tell some new builders in the street about it so they will "be on the lookout". They were probably thinking "what a dick" but I'm afraid a few of us do have to be dicks with things like this.
And I for one am happy to call you a dick. In the nicest possible way. You know that.

In February Hugh posted about his conversation with Lewisham’s Head of Environmental Services – including their Love Clean Streets website which enables residents to report dumping via a cameraphone. Hugh said how helpful this is for Lewisham.

“It helps them to accurately assess the scale and nature of the problem so they can get an appropriate response out quickly without the need for an inspection visit.”

On 8 March, in this thread, I said that neither Brian Ellick, Team Leader for Street Enforcement, nor his colleague Geraldo Eghan (the officer who covers Harringay ward) were able to see John McMullan’s video on their Council PCs. That was because they were not among the tiny minority of Haringey staff trusted - as professionals and grown-ups - to view photos and videos of dumping on social media websites.

To be fair, I expect this is to protect their delicate sensibilities. After all, they might faint at the sight of such disgusting and offensive images. The Council’s budget for smelling salts could go through the roof !

But John pointed out they could view his dirty pix - on a mobile phone. Which was true, but only if one of their colleagues had brought her own blackberry to work.

As this state of affairs is dysfunctional (as well as ludicrously and splendidly comic) on 10 March I wrote asking that Mr Ellick and Mr Eghan were added to the privileged few. Yesterday – nearly a fortnight later –  I heard that my request is “currently being considered”.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

In my office we're not allowed to view most of the internets on the company's PCs. They do however provide us with a free wireless network and you can bring your own laptop or smartphone in. The reason is that they do not want to be sued for something you contribute to one of these sites using their equipment. They pay us for the amount of work we do so they're not too worried about us wasting time on there. You can play an internet golf game on our PCs, it's not blocked, but youtube and flickr are.

If Haringey gave the same explanation as your firm, of course, I'd understand it. And would offer your comment as a helpful practical suggestion. But that's not the reason.

Stuart Young is Haringey's Assistant Chief Executive. On 16 October 2009 he emailed me about the software block, explaining that it is supplied by the company Websense and:

". . . has been configured to block web site categories (rather than specific sites) that are considered unacceptable by our Authority (as per the Council’s 'Internet Acceptable Usage Policy'.)"  . . . "● Adult material ● Peer to peer file sharing ● Personal network storage ● Drugs ● Gambling ● Games ● Illegal ● Hacking ● MP3 and Download ● Social networking and personal ● Militancy and Extremist ● Racism and hate ● Tasteless ● Violence ● Weapons ● Web chat."

A pretty thorough and comprehensive list. Which at one point even stopped Libraries staff accessing their own Twitter pages. 

But Mr Brian Ellick is the Enforcement Team Leader for Haringey. Mr Geraldo Eghan is his colleague who works specifically in Harringay ward. I wasn't asking them to post a comment on your YouTube page. Or on my Flickr page (after you let me post frames from your video). I simply wanted them be able to sit in front of their own office PCs and view what you'd posted. Because: "It helps them to accurately assess the scale and nature of the problem."

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service