Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hi,

I have this TV - Hisense 50 Inch H50B7300UK Smart 4K HDR LED TV

I have absolutely no idea how to set up a Freeview on it - menu comes up but when I select any channels nothing happens, just a grey screen.

Few idiot questions (apologies, laugh all you like but please help if you can)

I live in a conversion, 3 flats, no communal aearial or communal dish and landlord (L&Q) refuses to install one.

So to be able to view ANYTHING, so far I had own satelite dish and Sky subscription despite never really watching Sky.

The plan was get a smart TV and ditch Sky all together and just watch free view and Netflix etc.

Set up Netflix, working fine but for the life of me can not set up Freeview - I looked on the Freeview pages but can not follow at all, menu is different and no idea what to press.

So a stupid question now - do I need to have the Sky box on to watch Freeview? TV ha a build in freeview so I thought I will not need the Sky box with it (idea was to ditch Sky and their crazy prices).

Can I tune Freeview without the Sky box?

Completely confused - can anyone help with some advice?

Thanks

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I sorry missed the bit about the Sky box. In that case you would have to buy a Freesat box - the site has details - to use Freesat. But this is only a consideration if your aerial doesn’t perform well. Let’s hope it’s ok. The Freesat box needs no subscription btw.

TVs work fine on wireless but do tend to take the whole bandwidth- that’s why I suggested using a cable if you can. But it’s not important- only an issue if you have other Wi-fi users simultaneously.

Ok - thanks , one more dumb question.

With internal aerial (provided it works at all of course) - would I be able to view Freeview channels as well as regular BBC etc? Or just Freeview?

I just fail to see what exactly am I paying the dreaded TV license for.... Yes I know I have to pay it (sigh) but just wonder if what I pay for will be available via internal aerial?

Thanks a lot

Thanks

You should be able to see all freeview channels as long as the reception is good enough - which includes  a large number of channels including BBC1,2,4, News etc & loads of others including various ITV & channel 4 ones. e.g. see https://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewchannels.html

The TV license pays for the BBC channels (including radio & streaming if you use it.

Thanks Michael, appreciated

Hi Anka, you might not get all the Freeview channels with an indoor aerial. Have you got the catch up apps on your television? If so, you can watch live BBC, ITV and channel 4 through your broadband as well as previously aired programmes.

If the aerial doesn't work I suggest you purchase a Freesat box as you already have the dish. Currys and Argos sell these boxes.

I hope you get it sorted.

Anka, please don't apologise for asking for help, you're not the only one baffled by all this new-fangled stuff - O for the old days when you bought the thing, plugged it in and switched it on!

After the big switchover a few years ago I was surprised to find I could still get most channels with a set-top box and indoor aerial. I was told to point it at Crystal Palace transmitter - not easy when I'm on the ground floor and the house next door is in the way. From time to time BBC channels go all spluttery (weather??), but that's the only time I can get London Live (channel 8), I just put up with it. 

Thanks to everyone who has provided links and advice!

Thanks Pat and Alyson.

What I have an issue with is the fact that if I am forced to pay a TV licence then whoever collects that money should be made responsible for me being able to vie the channels without me having to jump through the hoops as I do now.

I live in a conversion, ground floor (2 more flats above me) where landlord (L&Q) refuses to provide communal aerial/dish so in fact I am not able to view live TV (for which I pay the licence) unless I also pay for either Sky or Virgin or Freesat etc.

Frankly I do not view live TV at all BUT if I do not pay TV licence I will get fined - which is stupid and should be illegal to be honest.

I am on Harringay's side of Stroud Green, with 3 storeys houses all around and on the ground floor - if the internal aerial works (doubt it) - will see.

Otherwise, this is interesting:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/

Good morning Anka, please keep us posted on how you solve your dilemma. 

Morning Pat - I am going with the internal aerial once my "notice" for cancelling the sky is up on 14th Feb. But if that does not work/not good enough signal - I am will be cancelling the TV License

Just be careful - 

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:

• watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This applies to any device you use, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

So even if you only watch live programmes via the internet  you need a licence.

Not quite John - see the link I posted above.

Besides I really do not watch live programmes - on any device.

Complicated for them or me to "prove" either way.

The link you posted above says - " If you watch or record shows as they're being shown on telly in the UK ('live TV'), you need to be covered by a TV licence. You also need one if you use BBC iPlayer ".

The whole situation is a nonsense of course.

RSS

Advertising

© 2020   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service