Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Labour has announced that the controversial Haringey development vehicle (HDV) proposal developed under the Kober administration will be ditched if Labour maintains control of the council in the upcoming elections.

With the local Lib Dems promising the same, the fate of the HDV seems sealed. 

Council leader Claire Kober (Lab) announced at the end of January that she was standing down as Haringey’s leader amid in-fighting within the party, particularly over the HDV partnership with developer Lendlease. Under the arrangements the company would take more than £2bn of council assets and own a 50% stake. In return it would "promise" to create 6,400 homes and 20,000 jobs.

Tags for Forum Posts: haringey development vehicle, hdv

Views: 3175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where are the 20,000 workers going to live ?

Not in Haringey, obviously, since there is a lack of housing. So they'll spend their money elsewhere.

John D with another dreadful argument. You follow that logic to its logical conclusion you wouldn’t bother with any growth anywhere at all.

If people like John et al had been the only people around 20,000 years ago we would never have decided to leave caves

What is so great about growth ?

We're running as fast as we can to stay in the same place, and failing.

Growth has given us seas heaving with plastic bags, overcrowded schools, two-week waits to see a doctor,  hospitals that can't cope, food banks, a housing crisis, people commuting for four hours a day on trains where you can't even get a seat, traffic-choked streets and poisonous air.

Growth is not the solution: it's the problem.

Like they did in Hackney with Woodberry Down is one good example.

Labour has promised 5 pledges as an alternative to HDV and Kober's regime;

1. Deliver at least a thousand new council homes at council rents by 2022 and build our own housing on our own land.

2. Extend Council Tax relief to 100% for our least well off residents, whilst making Council Tax charges fairer.

3. Redesign adult social care and pay all council contracted homecare staff for their travel time and the London Living Wage by 2022.

4. Establish a Fairness Commision; a borough-wide conversation that will empower Haringey's residents and communities and help them inform council decision-making.

5. We will work with schools to provide a free school meal for every primary school child by 2022.

I had that leaflet through my door this morning too. And how’s that being paid for?

Thanks Roger 

So if the 5 pledges put forward you have 1 that will add more homes.  Not really a full alternative is it.

And 1,000 is a full 5,400 off what HDV would have provided? Any words of consolation for those families who will miss out?

ps point 4 sounds like the biggest talking shop going.

I think you forget the the HDV proposal was to demolish homes. This is no demolition and additional homes

They were not going to build social housing for families on the waiting list! This was for private investors in foreign countries to rent out to young flat sharers. It is being done all over London.

Based on Lendlease's form e.g. https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/look-heygate-estate-w... and https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/developer-rakes-70m-profits-el... I would go with that 1000 more social houses than would have been delivered under the HDV.

All the people asking "but what alternative are you putting forward?" and then gleefully saying things like "the silence is deafening": I am saying that what was promised was never on paper and I do not need to provide an alternative to vacuous politicians who seem to have no trouble getting their lies picked up by the media. The HDV was to move existing social housing tenants out of London and to provide private rented accommodation for yuppies who don't riot when their income is cut. I have tried buying these flats that they build in developments like this in London, they are sold to foreign investors before we even get a chance to have a look.

When Hugh says that Lendlease "promised" things, they too did not put those promises into the HDV contract. It was just marketing guff picked up by gullible journalists.

John is that an acceptance there is nothing of substance coming.

we have a big listening forum - that will do the trick 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service