Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Haringey Hunts for £2bn Developer to Redevelop Main Council Buildings for Housing

According to architects' journal BD Online, Haringey Council is currently looking for a developer to jointly build 5,000 homes and redevelop more than 20 sites across the borough.

Among the sites up for grabs are the council’s main nine-storey office in Wood Green, where more than 300 people work, as well as Wood Green’s civic centre (pictured above) and library – which "will be moved elsewhere in the borough".

Other land included in the package is the Northumberland Park regeneration area in Tottenham, while it is also looking at bundling up other sites into the work including land behind Muswell Hill library and parts of Broadwater Farm in Tottenham.

It will be interesting to see how much affordable housing is included and what will happen to the facilities due to be "moved elsewhere".

Thanks to Robert Pike for the heads-up on this story.

Tags for Forum Posts: civic centre, haringey development vehicle, hdv

Views: 3116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Afraid that's not true John. Me and Mr Jones are excluded from those.

Ah yes. Silly me. Apologies.

I see no need for apology, John. Maddy asked a perfectly straightforward question: "Where will people get married?"  To which you gave a perfectly straightforward reply: "There are many churches, Maddy, which would be happy to do the job."  We must not airbrush  from our consciousness these institutions where our ancestors for a millennium or two have been happily or unhappily, but legally, validly, legitimately hitched - pace minor tweaking of their competence or willingness to continue or extend or redefine the tradition in the most recent 0.1% or 0.075% of that period. Perhaps St Michael's Spire could be incorporated into the extended Civic Centre, to remind us of the former's rights of civic registry and to mitigate the latter's brutish brutalism.

Goodness, and there was silly me thinking people included me and my husband!
That would exclude me too as I am not a Christian. It it does go there would be alternative provision, I think at one point Woodside House was being looked at as a possibility. Of course now people can pay a premium and have a civic registry almost anywhere but it's quite expensive and lots of people can't afford that. You can probably get married whilst jumping out of a helicopter in a parachute these days and each do a loop the loop instead of exchange rings. However I want the Civic centre to stay

Yes registry offices are just one option these days. Try the top floor at the South Bank if you so desire!

Michael (and Emine), it all surely depends upon whether Maddy's term 'people' is categorically distributed or categorically undistributed. If John's response re "many churches would be happy to do the job" implicitly interprets the term 'people' as undistributed (and I follow John's logic in my offering), you can hardly tell John, "Afraid that's not true. Me and Mr Jones are excluded from those", when in fact people (undistributed) are still getting married in churches most days of the year as their forebears have been doing for a millennium or two. If you had told John, "Afraid your proposition applies to people-undistributed but not to people-distributed, and not to me and my hubby, or even to Emine and her spouse/intended", you would not have gone on to conclude that OAE would ever dream of excluding you or your husband from the category of people-distributed. But, as Emine and Matt helpfully point out, the sky's the limit for getting yourselves hitched whether the Civic Centre survives or not - but meanwhile quite a few people-undistributed will still plump for churches even if they never return there except in a box. John's proposition, "There are many churches, Maddy, which would be happy to do the job," will still be TRUE for some time to come.

Eddie, I'm not sure if I'm missing your point or if it's you who are missing something. 

Michael's issue is that as of today the only English churches gay people can get married in are those run by the Quakers, Liberal Jews, Unitarians and Free Christians and the Dutch Church.

I have to hold my hand up and admit that I had forgotten that The Church of England does not yet marry couples of the same sex ( or divorced people where the former spouse is still living ). That's why I apologised to Michael.

On the other hand any mixed-gender couple of whatever religious persuasion - Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Jedi.....etc have a legal right to be married in the Parish Church of the parish in which one of them has been living for at least six months. I have been married twice and at no time was I asked to what religion I adhered. Indeed, the first time was in a Roman Catholic church when I didn't know one end of a rosary from another.

And all I'm saying is that, in all logic and reality, people do get married in all sorts of churches so we can't say that "that's not true, John". So no, Hugh, I wasn't missing anything - but like John with his  I did see that Maddy was asking a simple question as to where civil weddings would be officiated in LBH if the present facility is no longer available.

As for being a few beads short of a rosary, John, as a "good" Catholic I was married in a good CofE church, St Michael's in Eaton Square, and when Vicar Saunders offered to ask the choir to throw in an 'Ave Maria' I chose to stick with a few good old Anglican standard hymns. As you said, there are many churches happy to do the job - if nicely approached. 

I have a very nice broomstick you can borrow.  Rates do go up on Saturdays and other special days.

I assume John apologised because he had inadvertently (and I have met John and have no reason to think this was anything but inadvertent) missed out a group of people who can be married by law but are explicitly forbidden to marry in Catholic or Church of England places of worship

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service