Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Not only is this offensive and condescending to women, but offensive and discriminatory against men. I spoke to someone who said he was in charge at the shop and was basically laughed at.

Please can every man who reads this ring them and apply for the job? There's also solicitors a few doors up who will help you sue them.

In all seriousness though, this and the leering and catcalling on the Harringay part of Green Lanes must make it the most sexist street in Britain. It's 2015, about time this was stamped out for good.

Views: 7224

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My mistake it is 389 green lanes. I don't seem to be able to edit title.
I think it's a cultural thing more this anything and I know for a fact that In SOME OTHER countries this is legal. This doesn't make it right and I totally agree with you on all accounts. I am a wondering if the Counil could do anything about "educating" the owners down Greens Lanes that this is illegal.....
Ick.

You know what else I've noticed lately? I frequently start work very early. Right now there are 16 men on the top floor of the bus and only three women. I've been noticing this gender disparity more and more. Where are the women?

It's the same on the tube and it's been like this for years. The men are going in to construction jobs which start very early. You should see them all pile off the west bound goblin at Harringay Green Lanes and walk up the hill to Woodberry Down early in the morning, quite impressive.

Never mind that. Why don't people go upstairs at all. I've been passes at bus stops by buses which had empty top decks and crammed lower decks and the driver can't be arsed to tell them to move upstairs!

The drivers press buttons now and various messages can be broadcast out inside the bus such as "there are seats available on the upper deck".

this is as good a post as any to note the following re recorded messages in buses   I use the W5 a lot and proposed to title my new anthology of short mystery stories "top deck of the W5"    as you know, that doesn't exist so I was very surprised yesterday to hear a voice recommending passengers to move upstairs where there was plenty of room.

Haha!

In my case, usually because my bus journey takes 3 minutes. Roughly the same length of time it takes me to drag all my stuff up and down the stairs...

I never feel as safe on the upper deck of a bus if I'm travelling alone. Maybe it's the same, but more so, for some women.
I didn't feel unsafe. I just found it weird.

Yesterday a couple of "youf" say next to me and started sharing out their cannabis resin...

At least it's in English…. there are plenty of employment notices down the Lanes usually for waiters in Turkish only.

This is surely illegal under terms of race and sexual equality laws? If I posted a sign in English saying only ENglish to apply that would rightly cause a storm and I'd been shut down. Having a sign in Turkish effectively rules out most other nationalities. 

Clearly there are many examples of racist and sexist job adverts around here- what can be done? Laws are meaningless it seems. Integration and equality, anyone? 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service