Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just heard that Haringey have been awarded a £100K road safety grant to make changes on Wightman Road. This is part of the £3.8 million given to Haringey from Transport for London. I don't have anymore details of the Wightman scheme, but have requested them from the Highway Dept. The full list is attached

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, tfl, traffic, wightman traffic calming

Views: 159

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i agree with a lot of what you have said. lets wait until we see what the proposals are and then plan our response
Cheers, Adam.
Old-Age-Emporium is too dismissive of half a crust. If £100K could be focused on speed reduction (and Adam's Average Speed camera could be a useful tool in that) we might find ourselves getting close to an integrated Ladder 20mphZone by the back door. Of course, as OAE says, this would only be a small beginning as far as residents and daily users of Wightman Rd are concerned.
Of course the sort of money they expend on a year of 'Haringey People' would make a slightly more serious dent in WR problems.
i've never come across WRN4. I must have led a sheltered life. Is there an N8 affiliate? I agree a 20 mph limit is a good idea. I've noticed the campaign posters in nearby Hornsey Park Rd. Is there already links with that group?
They've just repainted the white lines on Wightman. That's probably used up the 100K :-)
I have no idea whats planned but as areally confident cyclist.I hate this road as it is so narrow and the cars can be so fast and busy-definietely needs to be wider-I feel hapier cycling down |Euston road anyday rather than wightman rd
Ditto that - a horrible road. And the parked cars confront you with the ever present threat of getting whacked by a door opening.
I don't think that £100k is going to touch the problems that we have with Wightman Road. I walk to work most days, and have two 'choices' in my route to Endymion. I can cross Wightman at the railway station and face the horror that is the walk along the 'pavement' from Jewsons to the rail bridge. The babbling brook that crosses the pavement on the bend is a particular joy. Or, I can walk along the much pleasanter eastern pavement but then I have to fling myself out into the traffic at the mini roundabout and hope that somebody has the decency to slow down and let me across.

Even worse - my son goes to school in Enfield and catches the train at Harringay. I have a choice here - I either tell him to walk down Burgoyne and then walk through through the passage, on his own in the dark, and crossing some 10 roads: or, I tell him to walk down Wightman on the face of it much safer, but I have nightmares about him crossing the road.

My biggest gripe is with motorists turning out of the ladder roads who don't bother to signal and are too busy watching the traffic for a gap to notice pedestrians trying to cross.

So, my entirely partisan view is that speed isn't necessarily the problem. More pedestrian crossings would be great - but I doubt you get more than one of those for £100k. I suspect what we need to do is improve the parking, sightlines and pavements.
Wightman Road can't be made any wider than it is. That's at the route of its problems. To create more space for cars, bikes and pedestrians, the obvious answer is to ban parking, but that's a great option for those who live there. In terms of safety for everyone, reducing the speed of the traffic is the only realistic option. So more pedestrian crossings, chicanes, cameras and a genuine will to enforce a 20mph limit.
How much of that can you get for £100K
slower traffic would go a long way

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service