Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

For any map and/or historical geeks, or indeed anyone just interested in London, you gotta check out Google's latest map offering; the Ordinance Survey map of London from 1893, which was the most detailed and extensive OS map of London from a century ago. The great news is that the map just extends North enough to cover Harringay.

Really interestingly, Harringay is half build! For example, In my road, Pemberton, they'd build most of the houses from the New River to the top, but none of the houses below (including mine) and the school wasn't build yet either. The Salisbury is also conspicuous by its absence. I think the block with my house was probably 1985, so it was just a couple of years after the map, so it really is a snapshot of half-finished Harringay.

I notice that they call the area Harringay Park (yet another name for that endless discussion) and that most of the roads at the North and South of the ladder are mainly build, whereas the middle ladder roads from Mattison to Allison are only half build or only just started. Hewitt has the fewest houses, with just six. So it looks like they build from the top and bottom and joined in the middle!

The great thing is you can just zoom and pan about just like another Google Map. Even cooler you can use a slider to fade in and out of the current map (either regular or satellite) and the historical map, with any blend of the two in-between. Fantastic.

The map is found here:

http://maps.google.com/gallery/details?id=zs2aHyi7W8Ek.kggHTef2F49I...

and there's an article on it in the Londonist here...

http://londonist.com/2014/03/detailed-victorian-london-map-superimp...

Tags for Forum Posts: Harringay, History, Maps, Victorian

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hugo, thank you for the alert on this - as you indicate the detail and resolution quality of the maps are stunning. There go lunchtimes.....

Oh, you have beat me to it for posting the map!  Thanks, Hugo for letting people know.  It was interesting to see the ladder side was built first around Harringay Station, compared to the Stroud Green side.  Because of the prominence of the Crouch End, I just assumed Ladder was made later than surroundings of Crouch End.

Oh the joy!  And confusion. The land on the north side of Vale Road to the East of Vale Grove is vacant on this map.  But the Victorian terraces continue on this stretch as far as Linkway, it is possible that these were built later but the first building on that terrace at the corner of Vale Road and Vale Grove says "1891" on it.  A mystery indeed.

It's engraved on the plasterwork on the corner house which used to be a shop and has the archway to the mews to the left of it.  Maybe they couldn't count.

Yes and it's gone!  I think it was on the bit just below the turret which has recently been re rendered.  Honest Guv I promise it was there.  I am going to seek out some old pics and see if I haven't accidentally captured it at some point.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service