Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Down by Bianca, the former Village restaurant, empty now for over a year, and long sporting a sign proclaiming the opening of Aspiva Restaurant is to open as a Costa Coffee on four weeks' time.

Good news or bad?

Views: 2873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The rates on green lanes are extremely high apparently.

Thanks I was curious to know. I used to rent a cheap flat down the road from Muswell Hill Broadway and in time the leases came to an end on indie shops, and the renewal prices were so high that many left to be replaced by national multiples or charity shops. I agree with the thread below that I don't like empty shops...but this is often a consequence of the high rents and already a large number of chains already present or waiting before opening. 

EXCELLENT! this should tidy up green lanes further! i don't like independent scruffy shops ! 

When i say independent scruffy shops i don't mean all the nice new shops we have such as the turkish restaurants, cafes and our new Not Another Tesco store.... I'm referring to empty shop  fronts and scruffy ones 

What about non-scruffy independent shops?

yeah i realised after i posted this i did not word it correctly, i was referring to empty shop fronts

We will never know what Aspava was to be! I agree it was scruffy especially after Bianca introduced the new green shopfront and excellent logo, and the neighbouring window is always so alive with ladies rolling out the lachmacun. 

Thanks
At least its not another chicken shop or a tacky looking looking cafe with photos of the food out front that looks like vomit.

(Yes i miss La Ruche too!)
Speaking of new cafés, and the sad demise of La Ruche, its replacement (Diva Café) seems to be flatlining already. Whenever I go past it's as empty as the space where Iain Duncan Smith's heart is supposed to be. What a bloody futile and dispiriting exercise that was!

Devran was sold to new owners. The former owners bought the shop next door and set up Diva. One has to wonder if the new enterprise was entered into somewhat in the spirit of hobbyism (or maybe there's a whole other story?).

Hugh, as someone in the know, what is the story behind the regular churn of name changes and expansions of the Green Lanes Turkish restaurants? Zer quickly changed names and now I see Yayla doing the same. Is this a consequence of the hobbyism you describe? Seems that in a saturated market your brand has to be really good to survive hence some get bigger - Antepliller and others never open - Aspava - and become national chains.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service