Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

People will tell for years to come of where they were on that fateful day when Pemberton, and surrounding Harringay streets either side of Green Lanes, were overcome by what will become known as "The Great Harringay Smog". Oral history will pass the story of where forebears were the evening the Great Smog wrapped itself around Harringay for generations to come.

Here are first hand images for posterity. The first is the view down Pemberton on a clear night, the second showing the plume of smoke coming from the extractor at Devran.

I actually had conversations with neighbours who had come out to see if something was on fire (I spoke to at least 4). The smoke was creeping into our drafty Victorian houses and filling our rooms. What was interesting was that the smoke was more of a wood smoke smell, not the normal BBQ smell. The industrial levels of smoke settling around us could not have been from a single house hold with wet wood in its fire though, it must have come from elsewhere.

Once inside our clothes stank and went straight into the wash, it was like bonfire nights of old!

Tags for Forum Posts: air pollution, great harringay smog, pollution, wood smoke

Views: 793

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure this has already been done (but just ensuring I have the full set of facts) but has anyone spoken to Devran and heard what they have said? Would be good to understand from them the cause of the smog

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service